• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI eligibility - No income/No work history in US - can I apply for SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FB01

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi,

My dad recently became a US citizen. He is 77 years old and does not have any work history in US. He does not have any income and I help him with all the basic needs.

Can he get SSI income even though he does not have any work history in US?

Thanks,

FlyingRon

The link TM gave will give you a questionnaire that will help determine if he is eligible. To answer your question, work history is not a criterion for SSI eligibility.

FB01

Thank for the reply.

Based on the link it seems he is eligible.

Any idea about the process. I am planning to apply online. Do they call for personal interview before approving or everything is done online only. Any help would be appreciated.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Any idea about the process. I am planning to apply online. Do they call for personal interview before approving or everything is done online only. Any help would be appreciated.

There are several different ways to apply. The SSA lists them on their SSI Application page. It may be possible to do the entire thing online. You'll see that as one of the options.

FB01

If I do it online...will they call my dad for personal interview or i will just get approval in my mail..not sure about the process...if anyone can throw some light

Janke

You cannot file online for him. He can be interviewed in a local office with you by his side and a telephone translator, if needed. He may need to supply documents to support his statements about age, citizenship, assets, income, living arrangements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">