• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

full power of attorney for inmate out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caliemazuke

My friend was sentenced to 50 year no early release. He wants to give me full power of attorney so i can take care of anything that comes up. He can not afford a lawyer or any fees. I live in California and he lives,was charged and incarcerated in Louisiana. What is the course of action to take with a situation such as this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My friend was sentenced to 50 year no early release. He wants to give me full power of attorney so i can take care of anything that comes up. He can not afford a lawyer or any fees. I live in California and he lives,was charged and incarcerated in Louisiana. What is the course of action to take with a situation such as this?
In my opinion, the course of action to take would be to politely decline. If you truly wish to continue on this crazy path, then consult with a Louisiana attorney about the matter.

LdiJ

If he cannot afford an attorney or any fees, then what issues could he possibly have on the outside that would require him to need someone to be his POA? A POA cannot represent him in court or do anything like that.

If there are some assets that he needs to be liquidated and placed in his commissary account a POA could help him with that, but with you being in CA you would not be much help with that sort of thing.

Dandy Don

Ask him why he wants someone to be his POA and of course, decline, but suggest that it should be someone who lives locally in the area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">