• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pediatrician practices for opening syringes for immunization in front of parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

axescot

My child has had all his regular immunization shots and is going for another next week. When I thought about it, I realized in all of those visits the nurse comes in with syringes pre-loaded. They were opened and loaded outside of the room that my wife and I were in and never did we observe the opening/loading. I am in California and I thought the law was to open syringes in front of the patient. The doctor is otherwise excellent but is it something I should be concerned about?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My child has had all his regular immunization shots and is going for another next week. When I thought about it, I realized in all of those visits the nurse comes in with syringes pre-loaded. They were opened and loaded outside of the room that my wife and I were in and never did we observe the opening/loading. I am in California and I thought the law was to open syringes in front of the patient. The doctor is otherwise excellent but is it something I should be concerned about?
No.

quincy

You can tell your doctor that you prefer having the syringes loaded in the room so you can observe.

axescot

Of course, I am going to ask the doctor about it but I wanted to know if there is a law. If for some reason he is deviating from the law, I would be very suspicious and even scared. If this is normal practice, I will just ask for them to do it in front of us.

quincy

Of course, I am going to ask the doctor about it but I wanted to know if there is a law. If for some reason he is deviating from the law, I would be very suspicious and even scared. If this is normal practice, I will just ask for them to do it in front of us.
I found no law that applies.

ajkroy

A law like that would be cumbersome and time-consuming to the office. Many practices, particularly pediatric offices, will look at the schedule of patients and draw up a certain number of vaccines in the morning that will likely use that day. It can be a quick process with fewer non-durable items used (and usually fewer mistakes) if it is all done at one time. What would possibly be the reasoning to draw up an injection in front of the patient? It could add even more anxiety to an already taxing process for children.

Just Blue

How long has the child been going to this Pedi? How old is your child?

axescot

A law like that would be cumbersome and time-consuming to the office. Many practices, particularly pediatric offices, will look at the schedule of patients and draw up a certain number of vaccines in the morning that will likely use that day. It can be a quick process with fewer non-durable items used (and usually fewer mistakes) if it is all done at one time. What would possibly be the reasoning to draw up an injection in front of the patient? It could add even more anxiety to an already taxing process for children.
To ensure sterility of the needles and syringes. There have been cases of doctors reusing them and infecting their patients, either intentional or otherwise.

ajkroy

To ensure sterility of the needles and syringes. There have been cases of doctors reusing them and infecting their patients, either intentional or otherwise.
Needles cannot be reused. They have a safety lock on the sharp that the medical assistant snaps in place after every puncture.

I suppose a syringe could be reused if someone was really determined to do so. However, I have never heard of such a thing in 25 years in the medical field.

quincy

I think you perhaps have confused reusing needles with used-needle pricks.

Being pricked by a used needle can cause infection. That is why used needles are carefully disposed of in special hazardous waste containers.

You can ask your doctor about the office procedure for shots and you can ask to observe. If you have always trusted your children’s doctor, though, I think you are probably pretty safe in trusting him with your children’s immunizations.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sorry, but that is a bit ridiculous. If you're that worried about your medical professionals maybe you should find a new practice to go to.

quincy

Sorry, but that is a bit ridiculous. If you're that worried about your medical professionals maybe you should find a new practice to go to.
I actually don’t find the concern all that ridiculous. I find it just another example of the very many things parents of children (especially young children) worry about.

Our kids’ pediatrician not only earns every penny he is paid, he deserves several pennies more just for answering with professionalism some of the stupid questions we have tossed his way. ;)

Just Blue

I actually don’t find the concern all that ridiculous. I find it just another example of the very many things parents of children (especially young children) worry about.

Our kids’ pediatrician not only earns every penny he is paid, he deserves several pennies more just for answering with professionalism some of the stupid questions we have tossed his way. ;)
I have two kids and have watched the needles get tipped and disposed of every time they were given a shot for anything. OP has to have seen this practice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">