• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Base pay changing from hourly to salary.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

I still get straight pay on Saturday and 1.5 pay on Sunday. So it will be less than 98k.
I don't think you are 100% sure of what you will get or when. Normally salary OT exempt means just that. You get a set gross amount each week no matter how many hours you work.

When you say you will get straight time on Saturday do you mean that you won't be paid extra or that you will be paid the regular rate but in addition to your salary?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I still think think this is a math question and not a legal question. But today was the last day of Open Enrollment; I may not be operating on al cylinders.

Just Blue

I still think think this is a math question and not a legal question. But today was the last day of Open Enrollment; I may not be operating on al cylinders.
You're cylinders are operating fine. It is a math question. The Benevolent PayrollHRGuy is graciously helping OP out anyway.

PayrollHRGuy

The more the OP writes the more I think there is a legal issue involved.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This is where Google sent me.
And then you had to sign up for an account and actually LOOK at the site. You should have easily seen that this site is for legal advice.

It's the same as when I stop someone for speeding and ask them if they know what the speed limit is and they say "no, I'm not from here" as if there are no posted signs. Google is a poor excuse.

Sorry for being harsh, I am just tired of dealing with stupidity on a daily basis for the past 20 years and my tolerance is at about zero.

Slooney3

I don't think you are 100% sure of what you will get or when. Normally salary OT exempt means just that. You get a set gross amount each week no matter how many hours you work.

When you say you will get straight time on Saturday do you mean that you won't be paid extra or that you will be paid the regular rate but in addition to your salary?
Yes I'm sorry, I guess I'm not explaining it clearly. Our company pays staff a salary. But if they work Saturday they can either take "comp time" or straight time (base pay / 52/ 40 × hours worked) and on Sunday same hourly rate ×1.5. So, to know what my base pay should be I would have to know the difference between 1.5 × new hourly rate and my current OT rate. So it's a circular logic based on howmuch my new base pay is.

Slooney3

And then you had to sign up for an account and actually LOOK at the site. You should have easily seen that this site is for legal advice.

It's the same as when I stop someone for speeding and ask them if they know what the speed limit is and they say "no, I'm not from here" as if there are no posted signs. Google is a poor excuse.

Sorry for being harsh, I am just tired of dealing with stupidity on a daily basis for the past 20 years and my tolerance is at about zero.
Then unfollow this thread. I didn't ask you directly for advice. I know it is a math question but if the math is too hard for you move on. "Don't mean to be harsh."

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes I'm sorry, I guess I'm not explaining it clearly. Our company pays staff a salary. But if they work Saturday they can either take "comp time" or straight time (base pay / 52/ 40 × hours worked) and on Sunday same hourly rate ×1.5. So, to know what my base pay should be I would have to know the difference between 1.5 × new hourly rate and my current OT rate. So it's a circular logic based on howmuch my new base pay is.
It's not "circular logic". You know what your current OT rate is and you know what your base pay will be. Do the math.

Zigner

Then unfollow this thread. I didn't ask you directly for advice. I know it is a math question but if the math is too hard for you move on. "Don't mean to be harsh."
This is a LEGAL forum, not a MATH forum.

Zigner

No I don't know what my new base pay will be. That's what I was asking how much should it be.
Plug in the numbers to your math problem until you come up with something you're comfortable with and then ask for that.

PayrollHRGuy

I believe that he doesn't know what his annual salary amount will be. He's trying to figure out how much to ask for.
I understand. And I hope using the data I gave him he can figure out the math.

The thing I mentioned before and still don't know is that when the OP says straight time on Saturday does he mean no additional pay or extra pay at the straight-time rate. Either would be legal if he is truly going to be a legal OT-Exempt employee. I don't really think he knows either.

Last edited:

Slooney3

I understand. And I hope using the data I gave him he can figure out the math.

The thing I mentioned before and still don't know is that when the OP says straight time on Saturday does he mean no additional pay or extra pay at the straight-time rate. Either would be legal if he is truly going to be a legal OT-Exempt employee. I don't really think he knows either.
The Saturday and Sunday pay is in addition to the 40 hours base pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">