• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

5th Amendment + University

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andforests

Massachusetts— My university police department interrogated me on the charges of drug distribution and drug possession. My university dean (who was in the interrogation room and was supposed to guide me) and the two detectives led me to believe that 1. this investigation would stay internal within the university 2. I would certainly benefit from telling the truth under the university's internal disciplinary process. Although I was read my Miranda rights, I confessed to the distribution of substances. Now my case is being referred to the local police department and I may be facing criminal charges. Were my fourth or fifth amendments violated? Was I being unjustly coerced into confessing?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The only person who you should have had in the room to guide you was an attorney - certainly not a dean.

Get one now, before it's really too late.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The police can lie to you to trick you into a confession.
Sure, but in THIS case, the OP was given the straight poop when informed of his right to remain silent ("...anything you say will be used in court against you...")

quincy

To give you an idea of why it is imperative that you have a criminal defense attorney advising you, following is some reading material.

This first link is to Chapter 94c of Massachusetts General Laws. If you scroll to Section 31, this section lists the different classes of drugs. You can further scroll find the appropriate section for the drugs you are said to have possessed and distributed.
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXV/Chapter94c

This second link is to Section 32a, penalties for distributing Class B controlled substances.
https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexv/chapter94c/section32a

A distribution of drugs charge can come with serious jail/prison time.

andforests

What makes you think for a second that the dean was there to "guide" you?
He was the one who met with me directly before and even told me that the university police would be talking to me. He started the whole thing with "I'm here to support you through this." I genuinely believe that the man thought I would be better off telling the truth; he has little experience and never thought it would go to the regular police. But yes, I clearly should not have believed his words for a second. I'm not claiming that the police were unjust to me since they did read my rights, but the whole situation was framed in a manipulative way. I understand the police can do that, but the dean's words seriously frustrate me.

PayrollHRGuy

He was the one who met with me directly before and even told me that the university police would be talking to me. He started the whole thing with "I'm here to support you through this." I genuinely believe that the man thought I would be better off telling the truth; he has little experience and never thought it would go to the regular police. But yes, I clearly should not have believed his words for a second. I'm not claiming that the police were unjust to me since they did read my rights, but the whole situation was framed in a manipulative way. I understand the police can do that, but the dean's words seriously frustrate me.
His duty was, and continues to be, to the university. And the dean can lie to you all he wants. Get a lawyer.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Maybe he didn't realize what a train wreck you actually are.

Or maybe, he's interested in the greater good. Like, the students are better off with fewer dealers on campus, and might help decrease the # of ODs. (Parents sometimes get upset and sue universities when their kids die.)

andforests

Maybe he didn't realize what a train wreck you actually are.

Or maybe, he's interested in the greater good. Like, the students are better off with fewer dealers on campus, and might help decrease the # of ODs. (Parents sometimes get upset and sue universities when their kids die.)
I hear you: I've ODed on weed too many times to count. Sound advice.

quincy

Your rights seem to have been addressed properly by the school. It fell on you, however, to exercise these rights - the right to remain silent and the right to have an attorney.

Although you can’t unsay what has already been said, it is not too late to exercise your rights now. Say nothing more and find an attorney.

Good luck.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And that sort of snark will get you nowhere fast, young friend. You need a lawyer - NOW.

I hope your parents are aware of your activities - especially if they are footing any portion of your college bill (and that includes cosigning loans).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">