• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealing with employment agencies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kwbslp

I was contacted by one agency, Soliant, about a position and I indicated that I was interested.They set me up for a telephone interview. Prior to this interview, another agency, EBS contacted me about the same position. I told them that I was already set up for the interview with Soliant. After the interview, I did not hear from Soliant and in the meantime, EBS called me and told me that I had gotten the job. I didn't understand how they could do that because my interview was through Soliant. They convinced me that I should sign with them and against my better judgment, I did. The next day Soliant called and told me that the person in charge of the position was out sick and that is why I didn't hear from them. I told them that I had signed with EBS and they said that I couldn't do that because the job was through them. They told me I had to sign a contract through them, so I did. Then the trouble started and I was told that the agencies would have to come to a decision. This was about two weeks ago and both companies are still contacting me and I have no idea what the outcome will be. Who should be beholden to- the company that first contacted me (there is an email talking about the interview, before I ever heard about EBS, or EBS, whose contract I signeed first. Any help you could give me with this will be much appreciated. I know now that I should never have signed with EBS, but I did.

quincy

What is the name of your state?

If you have one signed contract, that is what is binding. Discussions about interviews, and interviews, are not binding.

You didn’t sign TWO contracts, did you?

Dandy Don

The ethical thing for you to do is to go with Soliant. Has either company informed you of what your salary will be and do you have to sign a contract with the company you are going to be working for? Please mention what your job title is or give a description of what your duties will be. With the contract you have with Soliant, are you going to be paying Soliant a fee for the placement and then sign a separate contract with the employer?
Has anyone sent you an offer in writing?

quincy

Ethics aside, Kwbslp signed a contract with EBS, not Soliant. Kwbslp might find he needs to pay both employment agencies.

What the job is, does not matter.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If Kwbslp has to pay either agency, Kblslp needs to find different agencies to register with. Fees should never be charged to the applicant, but to the contracting employer.

quincy

If Kwbslp has to pay either agency, Kblslp needs to find different agencies to register with. Fees should never be charged to the applicant, but to the contracting employer.
Ah. Good point. :)

EBS has the contract so EBS has something to show the employer. I wonder what Soliant has besides setting up the interview.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

It appears he signed contracts with both agencies.

I told them that I had signed with EBS and they said that I couldn't do that because the job was through them. They told me I had to sign a contract through them, so I did.
He could be sued by whichever company doesn't get their money from the referral.

Worse, the prospective employer, who might be in the middle, might wash his hands of the whole matter and rescind the job offer.

quincy

If he signed two contracts, that is a problem. But I am not sure it is a problem Kwbslp can solve.

I think it reasonable to think that the employer might rescind the job offer.

Dandy Don

"I told them that I had signed with EBS and they said that I couldn't do that because the job was through them. They told me I had to sign a contract through them, so I did."

Go with the company you first signed a contract with. It's not your fault that Soliant has an excuse for not performing.

quincy

"I told them that I had signed with EBS and they said that I couldn't do that because the job was through them. They told me I had to sign a contract through them, so I did."

Go with the company you first signed a contract with. It's not your fault that Soliant has an excuse for not performing.
I agree that Soliant was remiss in lining up an interview between Kwbslp and the employer before having a signed contract with Kwbslp. EBS not only has the first signed contract but also informed Kwbslp of the employer’s job offer.

But Soliant might not go gently into that good night if the fee is a significant one - and that creates a problem for the employer whose easiest path is as adjusterjack noted. Rescind the offer so neither agency gets paid.

eerelations

Fees should never be charged to the applicant, but to the contracting employer.
In fact, in Canada it's actually and unequivocably illegal for recruitment agencies to charge fees to their applicants, whether or not they get jobs through said agencies. (I understand this is irrelevant as far as US law is concerned but it does show what A Bad Thing charging applicants is considered to be in the western world.)

quincy

In fact, in Canada it's actually and unequivocably illegal for recruitment agencies to charge fees to their applicants, whether or not they get jobs through said agencies. (I understand this is irrelevant as far as US law is concerned but it does show what A Bad Thing charging applicants is considered to be in the western world.)
It is not as common an agreement perhaps as employer-paid fees to an employment agency, but applicant-paid fees to an employment agency is not illegal in the US.

Kwbslp might want to read the contracts he signed.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not as common an agreement perhaps as employer-paid fees to an employment agency, but applicant-paid fees to an employment agency is not illegal in the US.

They are, however, considered to be the shady low-lifes of employment.

Kwbslp

I was contacted by one agency, Soliant, about a position and I indicated that I was interested.They set me up for a telephone interview. Prior to this interview, another agency, EBS contacted me about the same position. I told them that I was already set up for the interview with Soliant. After the interview, I did not hear from Soliant and in the meantime, EBS called me and told me that I had gotten the job. I didn't understand how they could do that because my interview was through Soliant. They convinced me that I should sign with them and against my better judgment, I did. The next day Soliant called and told me that the person in charge of the position was out sick and that is why I didn't hear from them. I told them that I had signed with EBS and they said that I couldn't do that because the job was through them. They told me I had to sign a contract through them, so I did. Then the trouble started and I was told that the agencies would have to come to a decision. This was about two weeks ago and both companies are still contacting me and I have no idea what the outcome will be. Who should be beholden to- the company that first contacted me (there is an email talking about the interview, before I ever heard about EBS, or EBS, whose contract I signeed first. Any help you could give me with this will be much appreciated. I know now that I should never have signed with EBS, but I did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">