• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Planning return to work. When does employer let me know if I have a job and what it is?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis_crystal

What is the name of your state? Delaware
Hello. I have been on Short Term Disability (STD) for about 16 weeks. I know that my job is no longer covered by FMLA and my employer doesn't have to take me back. I'm working with the STD administrator and doctors to be released to return to work. I have notified my employer of this fact. Since I'm no longer covered by FMLA when can I ask or when does my employer tell me if I have a job and if I do what I will be doing?

FYI - I have reached out to my manager, leave representatives, and insurance company to ask about the process that has to be followed. I'm unable to get specific answers. I don't know if I'm asking the right questions or how far I can push the topic of return to work since I'm not medically cleared at this time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This really isn't a legal question. It's up to the policies and practices of your employer.

adjusterjack

I'm not medically cleared at this time.
The day you are medically cleared is the day you call your boss and say "Hi, boss, I'm medically released to return to work. Do I still have a job?

If he says yes, you report for work the following day.

Anything but yes, you file for unemployment compensation immediately. You can always withdraw the claim if you end up back to work in a few days

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The answers above are good ones.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">