• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transgender Bathroom Access in School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefnfot

try to take the path of least resistance. You are certainly allowed to use the restroom of your original gender. if not, then I would agree that you are being discriminated against. ( if they don't allow you to use the nearby restrooms entirely.)

Can you ask your guidance counselor what your options are? tell them that you will need to be accommodated if you are only allowed to use the restroom at the other end of the campus. ( given more time and leniency )

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
try to take the path of least resistance. You are certainly allowed to use the restroom of your original gender. if not, then I would agree that you are being discriminated against. ( if they don't allow you to use the nearby restrooms entirely.)

Can you ask your guidance counselor what your options are? tell them that you will need to be accommodated if you are only allowed to use the restroom at the other end of the campus. ( given more time and leniency )
Please shut up. "Original gender"? You are showing that you are ignorant to actual issues. Why does this child have to give ADULTS more time and leniency?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
try to take the path of least resistance. You are certainly allowed to use the restroom of your original gender.
Oh brother. Please don't comment on issues you apparently know nothing about.

@CameronKreider ... your comment regarding arousing suspicion by taking longer than the allowed 5 minutes makes me wonder if you are out at school. Just trying to think of options for you. If you'd prefer, feel free to PM me - I can also ask some other parents of trans kids that I know if they have any strategies to offer. My daughter was in college when she came out, so she/I didn't have to deal w/the HS scene...

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I attended one of the top high schools in the City of New York (in the country probably), with a student body of about 3200. It was a great school and no one had any issues getting a first-rate education there.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There are issues regardless of school size. My older went to a BIG HS (for here, anyway ... ~1200 students), while my younger went to a school w/about 200. They each had their positive and negative aspects. Larger lets a kid "hide" more easily, but also allows for the opportunity of meeting/connecting with a larger pool of both kids and teachers. Smaller allows for closer ties with faculty (great if it's a kid the teachers like), allows a kid to be a big fish in a small pond if they can pull it off, but can be extremely isolating for others. A kid in a marginalized group (like many trans kids are) can get lost or targeted.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
From @sefnfot via PM... (no, I don't HAVE to keep it private):

i know allot more than you think, my mother was one of the pioneer Lesbians that started the LGBT being allowed to be foster parents in West Hollywood; she fostered over 33 children. Even she was not comfortable with men using urinals in women restrooms.

Your use of flaming against a simple comment prevents conversation, education, and tolerance.

There is a line in the film Ip Man: why are women beautiful and dumb? They are beautiful so men would love them, they are dumb so they would love men back.

If someone gets offended by mentioning a fact of original gender then they are truly dysfunctional.
Oh, btw, sefnfot? There ARE no urinals in women's restrooms. We don't need 'em... So I have no clue what your mother wasn't comfortable about. Maybe she was just dumb, being a woman.

Just Blue

From @sefnfot via PM... (no, I don't HAVE to keep it private):

Oh, btw, sefnfot? There ARE no urinals in women's restrooms. We don't need 'em... So I have no clue what your mother wasn't comfortable about. Maybe she was just dumb, being a woman.
What was the Lincoln quote?? ..."Better to remain silent and though stupid, that to open your mouth and confirm it"?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What was the Lincoln quote?? ..."Better to remain silent and though stupid, that to open your mouth and confirm it"?
There are two similar quotes often attributed to President Lincoln or Mark Twain. But the evidence suggests that neither attribution is accurate. In each case the earliest attributions to them came well after their deaths, in 1931 and 1953 respectively and the evidence in each is case is not strong. The more likely source of it, a book titled “Mrs. Goose, Her Book” by Maurice Switzer published in 1907. His quote was "It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it."

Just Blue

There are two similar quotes often attributed to President Lincoln or Mark Twain. But the evidence suggests that neither attribution is accurate. In each case the earliest attributions to them came well after their deaths, in 1931 and 1953 respectively and the evidence in each is case is not strong. The more likely source of it, a book titled “Mrs. Goose, Her Book” by Maurice Switzer published in 1907. His quote was "It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it."
Thank you, TM. Do you think Mrs. Goose was talking about Mr. Gander when she said that? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">