• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Restaurant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peetajai

Hi all

I live in Burlingame, California
Location of the restaurant is the same.

I booked a wedding restaurant over a year ago and put down 1000 deposit. The restaurant got new manager. We talk to previous manager and most of the things are in writting on our contract but there are few things we had verbal agreement but I notice it was not on paper. Now the new manager refuse to honor those verbal agreement because he said is not on paper and he was not present at the time. Worst case scenario, if things don't work out. Can I get my deposit back or sue the restaurant for my deposit?

Thank you all

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You would need to read your contract. However, the new manager is right. If it's not in the contract, or some sort of written amendment, then you're going to have a tough time proving anything.

peetajai

2/29/2020. In a month, worst case scenario I still got time to find another place if everything goes south.

quincy

2/29/2020. In a month, worst case scenario I still got time to find another place if everything goes south.
A month to book a restaurant for your wedding? That is optimistic, unless you are hosting a very small wedding.

What additional items were left out of the written contract?

quincy

Is the new manager also the owner of the restaurant?

You could try to negotiate with the new manager a discounted price on the extras you want and expected.

izzie02

And..offer to givea glowing review of how pleased you are with the new owner and how great it was to work with them, if negotiation s go well.

quincy

And..offer to givea glowing review of how pleased you are with the new owner and how great it was to work with them, if negotiation s go well.
Promising a positive review is a great suggestion. Consumers’ positive word-of-mouth and written reviews are the best and cheapest advertising a business can have.

quincy

Retain the services of a business law attorney to review your contract to see if you have any options.
Although a review of the contract by a business law attorney is decent advice, the costs of hiring an attorney might outweigh the benefits.

peetajai is concerned about a $1000 deposit.

adjusterjack

But does the restaurant have time to find another customer to replace you?

And is there a "Liquidated Damages" clause in your contract?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">