• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In trouble for estranged husbands car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Feb. Of 2019 my husband and i had just separated. Shortly after he was in a car accident that i was not aware of. I was contacted recently by our insurance company that stated the accident claim exceeded our limits and the other party is refusing to settle. My insuarance company wants me to fill out an Affidavit of no additional insurance and an Affidavit of assets. I told them i did not feel comfortable doing so as the first line states that " i was the driver or registered owner of the vehicle." I was neither. They are not going after my husband because he is now homeless and jobless and will not respond to their requests.

Would it be in my interest to fill out either form? Is there anything i can do to not be held responsible for his mistakes?

Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Feb. Of 2019 my husband and i had just separated. Shortly after he was in a car accident that i was not aware of. I was contacted recently by our insurance company that stated the accident claim exceeded our limits and the other party is refusing to settle. My insuarance company wants me to fill out an Affidavit of no additional insurance and an Affidavit of assets. I told them i did not feel comfortable doing so as the first line states that " i was the driver or registered owner of the vehicle." I was neither. They are not going after my husband because he is now homeless and jobless and will not respond to their requests.

Would it be in my interest to fill out either form? Is there anything i can do to not be held responsible for his mistakes?

Thank you.
You definitely do not want to sign anything if you were not driving and also were not the registered owner of the vehicle. However, AZ is a community property state and other party might try to hold you responsible for the accident as a community debt.

Thank you for your responses.

He moved out in Feb. I filed for divorce in April but because he is homless and jobless i had trouble serving him. My defauly hearing for the divorce is on the 27th of this month.

The title is in his name alone.

I have since gotten my own policy.

I have only been contacted by my insurance company so far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">