• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For the past year an half I have been discriminated by my local county housing authority how can I stop it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CareyF

I have been living in my Fed sub apt complex for 5 yrs now in CA. And for the last year an a half now, since new mgmt took over, HACSB has allowed a fmr tenant to harass/assault/threaten my life. The fmr tenant, has a history of viol offense charges on his record, which he viol an EPO, when he assaulted me, while he was living on the prpty, as well as threatened my life, that he would be seeing me, leave dead in a body bag, out of the bldg. His wish almost came true, when I found out, that the HACSB maintenance guy, who is a long time family friend of his, rigged my apt door, to be unlocked by all tenants keys, to get into our secured bldg, after my apt was broken into, an he did the repair. Furthermore, there are several tenants, who have been dealing drugs on the prpty, which HACSB is fully aware of, and is a viol of the lease, but yet they do nothing about it, like they did to me, when I was served with an eviction, for viol the lease in a similar fashion. However, I got a lawyer, and was ordered to do drug rehab, in order to keep my apt, which I graduated in 2015. Also, the HACSB on-site prpty mgr, has told me, that they will not abide, by the current restraining order, to keep the fmr tenant, off the prpty/selling his drugs, who assaulted me, when in the past, mgmt has clearly stated, the only way to keep someone off the prpty, was by getting a restraining order. Recently, I had a legal aide atty helping me, with this problem, but for some reason, all of a sudden, she quit her job, and now I am having a hard time finding an atty that will help me. I have all the evidence to support my claims, like the video footage, of the 2 different keys, that were unlocking my apt door, in addition to, numerous police reports filed, as well as, pictures of the cinder block, the fmr tenant, had sitting outside his apt door, that he was intending to throw, off the 2nd fl balcony, to hurt me.

CareyF

Yes, and this is with, Housing Authority County Of Santa Barbara. To make matters worse, the fmr tenant, who assaulted me, was on felony probation at the time of my assault, for assaulting/hospitalizing another homeless man, all over a debt owed for drugs. The local law enforcement, have a copy of the video footage, with the 2 keys unlocking my door, the cinder block, have been called out numerous times, to file more reports, for my apt being robbed, but nothing comes of it

quincy

Have you applied for housing elsewhere?

I find it disturbing that the police will not respond to restraining order violations and nothing is done about the former tenant who appears to be violating his probation. I can understand your worry.

CdwJava

You state that he violated an EPO ... was that in reference to his past behavior with someone else? Or, did he violate an EPO with you? Keep in mind that an EPO is good for no more than 7 days from the date of issuance after which it expires. If he DID violate an EPO, then it was a violation of a domestic violence restraining order and the police should have made an arrest for PC 273.6. If they didn't, then I can only assume there was a lack of probable cause to believe he committed the violation, or, he was not present and unable to be located by the police.

Have you since sought and obtained a TRO?

What probation conditions is this person supposedly violating? What offense is he on probation for? If it is summary (i.e. unsupervised) probation, then the odds are he will not be scooped up for that unless also arrested for another criminal offense.

When you say there is a video of him using two keys, what does that mean? He used the keys to unlock your door? Does the management still believe this person to be a tenant? It sounds as if that person is still on their records as a tenant hence the reason they asked for a TRO that precludes him from the property.

CareyF

The violation of the EPO was for me due, to his harassment before the assault happened, and me filing for a restraining order. Which he was arrested for the violation of the EPO , and did 4 months in jail. But, what im saying is, that he was on felony probation already, before he assaulted me, and then violated the EPO as well, then only got 4 months in jail for his violence. On top of, HACSB, was not willing to evict him, even after he assaulted me, violating the EPO, and is a violation of the lease, until I contacted my local congressman, Salud Carbahjal, for help. However, now, his office will not return my requests to further help me with this matter, and I do not know why? I think it has something to do, with the fact, that this fmr resident, who assaulted me, is a blood affiliation to a criminal organization.

CareyF

Furthermore, like I have stated before, the past atty I had helping me, all of a sudden quit her job, with legal aide, and I am having a hard time finding legal representation, to stand up against this injustice. I am a single, disabled woman, who lives on a limited means of income, who can not seem to get any help, because people are afraid of the criminal organization called the Bravados. I have a complaint form to file with the DOJ next

quincy

Furthermore, like I have stated before, the past atty I had helping me, all of a sudden quit her job, with legal aide, and I am having a hard time finding legal representation, to stand up against this injustice. I am a single, disabled woman, who lives on a limited means of income, who can not seem to get any help, because people are afraid of the criminal organization called the Bravados. I have a complaint form to file with the DOJ next
It is possible the gang you are concerned with is under investigation already. Another gang in the San Bernardino area (Westside Verdugo) had 32 of its members indicted in April for a variety of offenses.

Investigations take time. A year and a half would not be unusual.

I think you are smart to file complaints.

CdwJava

Okay, so you had an EPO and he went to jail. That is what is supposed to happen. And, since it is a misdemeanor, 4 months is pretty good for that offense, and he only got THAT long because it was DV.

If you have a TRO that prevents him from coming to the residence, then that will solve the issue of his presence. You DID get a TRO, correct? Or, did the court issue a CPO (criminal protective order)?

You may be able to find assistance through a local domestic violence hotline/shelter with the violence and restraining order violations. There are some genius legal advocates who have seen situations similar to yours and worse that can at the very least, give you some sound advice as to how to safely handle the situation.

As far as the residence is concerned, landlord/tenant law for your state may have some statute allowing for damages for the illegal entry into your home. Not being familiar with your area, there are some colleges that have legal clinics for landlord/tenant issues and oftentimes they can assist in filing a complaint in small claims court for damages. It wouldn't hurt to try, anyway.

I'm sorry that you are going through this. It is so frustrating when the police will not help in these situations and it happens far more than society likes to admit. Keep yourself safe, above anything else. Property can be replaced- people can't. I wish you the best.

I wanted to mention that housing authority agencies that have programs such as HUD or section 8, must follow federal law. When an issue of discrimination or discriminatory practices arises, by law they have to provide the grievance procedure to file a complaint. I am not certain if the manner in which this information is provided varies by state, for example, having the information posted on the wall or just having to give the information upon request, but if there are issues, you should be able to file a complaint in order to resolve it.

There is also the department of civil rights, who will conduct an investigation into the issue re; discrimination after a valid complaint is lodged. They may have a website for your state that allows a complaint to be filed on line, for convenience.

Dandy Don

Were you aware that you can request a transfer to a different HACSB property?

Please also take a look at the table of contents in the Public Housing Occupancy Guidebook to see if there is a topic that may specifically cover your situation. If I am not mistaken, this is a document published by HUD that all HUD sites use as a procedural instruction book on how to manage and operate their properties.

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/DOC_10760.PDF

Just Blue

Were you aware that you can request a transfer to a different HACSB property?

Please also take a look at the table of contents in the Public Housing Occupancy Guidebook to see if there is a topic that may specifically cover your situation. If I am not mistaken, this is a document published by HUD that all HUD sites use as a procedural instruction book on how to manage and operate their properties.

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/DOC_10760.PDF
The OP has NOT been here in the last 5 weeks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">