• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3D filament trademark class

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HomeMike

I would like to register a brand name as a trademark. I am selling 3D filaments.

How do I find the right class?

I found in class 6, "metals in foil or powder form for further processing, for example, for 3D printers", but what I do is plastic.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would like to register a brand name as a trademark. I am selling 3D filaments.

I found in class 6, "metals in foil or powder form for further processing, for example, for 3D printers", but what I do is plastic.
Why not look up other sellers of 3D filament?

HomeMike

Haha, I have tried that, but I see no unique pattern. Many do it through 3D-printers, but I am not selling these.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just looked at one of the more well-known filament brands and they have a trademark under class 17. Look at that and see if you feel it fits. Alternatively, you could ask an attorney for advice.

quincy

Picking the wrong classification for goods/services is perhaps one of the more common reasons that a trademark applicant receives notice of office action by their trademark examiner.

It is not unusual for goods/services to fit into more than one class - and it can make a difference in the protection your mark receives if you choose the wrong classification or choose only one classification.

I recommend you have a trademark professional in your area help you with your application so it is not rejected on simple, correctable error.

AckAck1

Jumping in late. But It's far worse to get the ID wrong than the class wrong. Classes get botched all the time and can be fixed by a quick examiner's amendment.
Did you look in the Goods and Services manual? there are a slew of filament types listed in Class 6 and otherwise.
https://idm-tmng.uspto.gov/id-master-list-public.html
Class 017 - Plastic filaments for 3D printing

quincy

Jumping in late. But It's far worse to get the ID wrong than the class wrong. Classes get botched all the time and can be fixed by a quick examiner's amendment.
Did you look in the Goods and Services manual? there are a slew of filament types listed in Class 6 and otherwise.
https://idm-tmng.uspto.gov/id-master-list-public.html
Class 017 - Plastic filaments for 3D printing
Zigner previously touched on Class 17 as a possibility.

I don’t understand what you mean by “getting the ID wrong“.

Specimens probably create the most difficulties for applicants.

AckAck1

Sorry - was only a few weeks old.
Yes, but the OP mentioned he was in plastic filaments - so I posted a plastic filament ID or pointed to where he could look at various classes of filaments.
Regarding 'getting ID wrong' - I often get to clean up after non-IP attorneys who poorly describe the services provided. Leading to what you mention...problematic specimen. Since it doesn't match the ID.

quincy

Sorry - was only a few weeks old.
Yes, but the OP mentioned he was in plastic filaments - so I posted a plastic filament ID or pointed to where he could look at various classes of filaments.
Regarding 'getting ID wrong' - I often get to clean up after non-IP attorneys who poorly describe the services provided. Leading to what you mention...problematic specimen. Since it doesn't match the ID.
Yes. The description and specimen must match.

By the way, your link is to a USPTO search page. Other pages are time-limited.

Last edited:

quincy

Good.

You will be notified in an “action letter” sent by the USPTO if there are any problems found with your application. Otherwise, you probably won’t hear anything for a few months.

You can check the status of your application online through the USPTO’s Trademark Status and Document Retrieval (TSDR) system (http://tsdr.uspto.gov).

I hope all goes smoothly for you.

HomeMike

When I filed I was not using the brand, yet. Now boxes and flyers are ready and I can start using it.

Is there any advantage and filing this evidence of use now or should I wait?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">