• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gate remote fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maydastouch

What is the name of your state?Florida
I am moving and about to sign a new lease. I noticed I will be charged a non refundable fee of $75 for a get remote and $50 for an access card to the community gym per adult in the lease. Is this legal?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?Florida
I am moving and about to sign a new lease. I noticed I will be charged a non refundable fee of $75 for a get remote and $50 for an access card to the community gym per adult in the lease. Is this legal?
Yes.

FarmerJ

I wonder if the landlord can truly get away with charging 75 as non refundable gate fee assuming the gated lot / entrance is the only way to access parking ? OP is there any other places to park on the property that do not require going thru a locked gate ? OP have you searched your states landlord tenant laws to determine if they address gate remotes & access cards ? See if the only way to use those things is to be able to unlock them and say you gently used the pass card & remote causing zero damage to them when they are returned at the end of the tenancy how would the card & remote really be any different than a landlord supplied fridge or cookstove that are left in decent condition at the end of a tenancy unless the leases are structure so parking behind a gate or use of other facilities via access card are not included in the lease price and charged separately. If your really curious I suggest you consult with a landlord tenant Attorney in your area or some kind of legal services for tenants to learn more.

adjusterjack

OP have you searched your states landlord tenant laws to determine if they address gate remotes & access cards ?
Nothing in the FL landlord tenant statutes specifically addresses gate remotes and access cards nor does anything in the statutes prohibit charging non-refundable fees in general.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/0083PARTIIContentsIndex.html

The fees are addressed in the lease. The prospective tenant has written notice of them. It's his choice to accept the lease or live elsewhere if he doesn't like the terms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">