• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state dui.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sal3500

So in 2018 I got a DUI in New Hampshire. I cleared everything up with them did what they asked and thought I was in the clear. Last year in September CT dmv finally found out and now I am getting punished much worse than what New Hampshire. Ct requires me to have the breath analyzer installed in my truck in order for me to be able to drive. I did. I was told that there is nothing I can do. How is it right for CT to put this punishment on us. If we do what we are asked to do in the state we get the dui there should be consequence in your home state. Is there anything that I can do That I have not done yet.

Just Blue

So in 2018 I got a DUI in New Hampshire. I cleared everything up with them did what they asked and thought I was in the clear. Last year in September CT dmv finally found out and now I am getting punished much worse than what New Hampshire. Ct requires me to have the breath analyzer installed in my truck in order for me to be able to drive. I did. I was told that there is nothing I can do. How is it right for CT to put this punishment on us. If we do what we are asked to do in the state we get the dui there should be consequence in your home state. Is there anything that I can do That I have not done yet.
CT requires people that risk the lives of others by drunk driving to go that extra mile. You have the option of moving to NH where they don't ask that of you. You could also consult with an attorney in CT to see if there is a way to weasel out of it. https://www.ctbar.org/

zddoodah

If we do what we are asked to do in the state we get the dui there should be consequence in your home state.
You are entitled to believe this and to lobby the elected representatives to change the law. Most legislators, however, are not going to be receptive to something like that because making it less onerous for folks to drink and drive is not a good way to get re-elected. Generally, the only folks in favor of decreasing punishments for criminals are criminals.

quincy

It is not unusual for there to be consequences in one’s home state for a drunk driving conviction in another state. You can, as Blue suggested, consult with an attorney in Connecticut - or you can keep the Ignition Interlock Device (IID) that was installed in your car for the length of time required by your state, if you want to continue driving.

Here is a link to information on the law:
https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Suspension/Suspension/Ignition-Interlock-Device-Program

Last edited:

sal3500

Maybe I didn't explain myself that well. Im not saying that I shouldn't be punished for what I did, but to be punished a second time in over a year is wrong. And no I'm not a criminal. It was a bad judgement call on my part and I'm paying for it twice so don't categorize me as one. I have contacted attorneys and they all gave me the same answer sorry can't help.

sal3500

It is not unusual for there to be consequences in one’s home state for a drunk driving conviction in another state. You can, as Blue suggested, consult with an attorney in Connecticut - or you can keep the Ignition Interlock Device (IID) that was installed in your car for the length of time required by your state, if you want to continue driving.

Here is a link to information on the law:
https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Suspension/Suspension/Ignition-Interlock-Device-Program
I have gone through the ct dmv website many many times.

quincy

Maybe I didn't explain myself that well. Im not saying that I shouldn't be punished for what I did, but to be punished a second time in over a year is wrong. And no I'm not a criminal. It was a bad judgement call on my part and I'm paying for it twice so don't categorize me as one. I have contacted attorneys and they all gave me the same answer sorry can't help.
You are not really “paying twice” for your conviction. You are finishing up paying all that you should have paid in 2018.

Just Blue

You made a choice to drive drunk. There are consequences to that choice. You now have a criminal record for committing a crime. Guess what that makes you?

The interlock shouldn't be an issue for you unless you attempt to drive after drinking again.

BTW: No one here "categorized" you...you did that yourself.

Maybe I didn't explain myself that well. Im not saying that I shouldn't be punished for what I did, but to be punished a second time in over a year is wrong. And no I'm not a criminal.
Someone who commits a crime, any crime including driving drunk, is by simple definition a criminal. And as Just Blue says, you now have a criminal record for committing that crime.
And don't forget, driving on the public roads is a privilege and not a right, so CT calls the shots when it comes to your license.

GuyInNC

CT requires people that risk the lives of others by drunk driving to go that extra mile. You have the option of moving to NH where they don't ask that of you. You could also consult with an attorney in CT to see if there is a way to weasel out of it. https://www.ctbar.org/
Just to test my own knowledge of this process (where I have had issues, and am still at risk, with the National Driver Registry unrelated to DUI's), I assume that at this point the OP has his driving privileges in Ct removed and that is reflected in the NDR. And NH would not issue a license to him under those circumstances. Had he moved to NH and gotten a NH license at the time of completing his NH DUI conviction requirements, THEN he would be in the clear.

Am I correct in this?

Just Blue

Just to test my own knowledge of this process (where I have had issues, and am still at risk, with the National Driver Registry unrelated to DUI's), I assume that at this point the OP has his driving privileges in Ct removed and that is reflected in the NDR. And NH would not issue a license to him under those circumstances. Had he moved to NH and gotten a NH license at the time of completing his NH DUI conviction requirements, THEN he would be in the clear.

Am I correct in this?
The is my understanding.

quincy

Am I correct in this?
Had he decided to remain in New Hampshire instead of returning to Connecticut, New Hampshire could have issued him a New Hampshire driver’s license once he satisfied the DUI requirements of New Hampshire AND his license from Connecticut was reinstated.

His problem would be that, under the Connecticut laws that governed his driver’s license, he still needed to meet additional requirements (the IID) to keep or renew his Connecticut license. He would need to satisfy those requirements before any state will issue him a new license.

In other words, he cannot get around the consequences of the DUI on his Connecticut license by moving to New Hampshire after his DUI.

zddoodah

And no I'm not a criminal.
Criminal [krim-uh-nl ] . . . noun - a person guilty or convicted of a crime.

You: "I got a DUI in New Hampshire." DUI is a crime.

so don't categorize me as one.
My prior response: "Generally, the only folks in favor of decreasing punishments for criminals are criminals."

So...who exactly do you think categorized you as a criminal?

As for the rest of this, I'll echo what others have said. When you commit a driving-related crime/infraction in a state other than the state in which you are licensed, there may be consequences in both the other state and your state of licensure.

quincy

I think many who are convicted of drunk driving offenses do not see themselves as criminals. They attempt to excuse their offenses as “mistakes.”

Reality often doesn’t hit until there are personal relationship or employment repercussions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Driving while intoxicated is a crime. You were found guilty. Hence that makes you a criminal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">