• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting a Small Claims Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I won a Small Claims Judgment in October 2019 (for just under $5,000.00) against a thief who owns a business. His attorney filed a Motion for Re-Hearing that was denied 01/14/2020.

Longer story short ....

He was ordered to send me a Fact Information Sheet no later than 02/14/20 but never did so I filed a Motion For Contempt on 02/21/20. It is set for Hearing for Monday 03/09/20.

I have been trying to find an attorney to help me or a business who collects judgments but have not had any luck. One guy told me for $500 up-front, he will locate the guy's bank accounts. I told him I already have all his old bank account numbers and copies of checks. As soon as I said that, he said he can't help and hung up on me.

I'm very sick ... in need of a lung transplant.

The thief was aware of this when he took my jewelry back in 2018 and promised to pay me for it but I didn't realize he was hoping I would die first.

He has had many, many lawsuits against him for switching diamonds and for not paying his customers for their jewelry and tons of other things.

Not only am I hoping for help to collect my judgment but somehow, someone, somewhere needs to stop this thief from stealing from unsuspecting customers who walk in off the street thinking he is an honest businessman.

If anyone can offer any help or advice, I would be very grateful.

Time is, of course, of the essence in more ways than one.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you are unable to do this on your own, then you should keep looking for attorneys to assist you. An internet forum is not going to help.

If you are unable to do this on your own, then you should keep looking for attorneys to assist you. An internet forum is not going to help.
Thanks but I have been looking, as I stated, and have not had any luck finding someone to collect this judgment so I came here. An *Internet Forum* is where I came initially and got some of the BEST advice regarding filing my lawsuit - that I followed.

First things first.

Stop calling him a thief. He has a civil judgment against him and he hasn't been convicted or even charged in a criminal court. You could end up getting sued yourself for a lot more than $5000.

Second, is the judgment against an individual or his business or both?

Also, you need to read this. https://dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/forms/judgment-lien/collect-judgment/
Interesting. Sorry you don't believe this guy who has stolen tens of thousands of dollars from unsuspecting customers and from banking institutions (who have sued him and won judgments against him and settled for part of their money) is not a thief. What would you call someone like that? An honest businessman?

The advice I received from an Internet Forum poster suggested I sue HIM personally and also ALL 2 of his business names. I did just that. His attorney was hoping the judge would dismiss my case since one of his businesses I did not do business with, but the judge dismissed that request.

Next?

Zigner

Interesting. Sorry you don't believe this guy who has stolen tens of thousands of dollars from unsuspecting customers and from banking institutions (who have sued him and won judgments against him and settled for part of their money) is not a thief. What would you call someone like that? An honest businessman?
It matters not whether you believe he's a thief (i.e., a criminal), it matters what you can prove.

The advice I received from an Internet Forum poster suggested I sue HIM personally and also ALL 2 of his business names. I did just that. His attorney was hoping the judge would dismiss my case since one of his businesses I did not do business with, but the judge dismissed that request.

Next?
Your were given a link above. If you need further help, speak to an attorney. One thing I CAN tell you is that you should be fully prepared to receive nothing.

It matters not whether you believe he's a thief (i.e., a criminal), it matters what you can prove.

Your were given a link above. If you need further help, speak to an attorney. One thing I CAN tell you is that you should be fully prepared to receive nothing.

Thanks but the judgments against him are proof enough that he is a criminal and a thief. There's no doubt the many judges who awarded his victims judgments against him did that because they determined he stole from them because he entered into a contract and didn't follow through. He is a repeat offender (stealing from lots of people and businesses) and he needs to be stopped.

I will never be prepared to receive nothing from him.

You were given lots of details but it's obvious you didn't read my posted question thoroughly.

But thanks for the great advice.

Zigner

Thanks but the judgments against him are proof enough that he is a criminal and a thief. There's no doubt the many judges who awarded his victims judgments against him did that because they determined he stole from them because he entered into a contract and didn't follow through.
Breach of a contract is a CIVIL matter, not a CRIMINAL matter. You are defaming the man, and can be sued for it. If he decides to sue you, you WILL lose. I am only saying this to help you, but you have decided to take umbrage. Best of luck to you.

PayrollHRGuy

Next?
I'm going to ignore your snotty response for a minute. If you don't care if you get sued I certainly don't.

Did you follow and read the link I posted? https://dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/forms/judgment-lien/collect-judgment/

If your judgment includes both the individual and the two business you can follow what it says against all three.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">