• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demurring in Traffic court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? California.

I noticed a few threads about demurring in California traffic court. I tried this once. It worked, but barely.

Generally speaking, demurring in traffic court is not a good strategy for lots of reasons.

1. The judge is not guaranteed to be familiar with the rules of real court, and unless you can authoritatively give him every last reason why he has no alternative but to grant your demurrer, he probably won't. If you aren't an attorney, it's not likely you will be able to be this effective. If you can't marshal a good argument on a web forum, you aren't going to be able to do it on your feet in court.

2. A demurrer is only applicable if you are conceding that that facts as alleged, even if true, do not warrant you being there in court. If it's a simple case of clerical error about which part of the code is cited, then that can be amended and given to you (there's a process, sure). So at best it's just a delay. And that's just causing you a headache with multiple appearances.

3. You can't introduce any evidence in a demurrer. So if your defense is "I wasn't doing that" then you won't be able to demur. The only thing you can use is the complaint. This is a very strict requirement. For example, you can't use the envelope that the complaint came in to show that it was mailed late or to the wrong address.

4. Even if you convince the judge that you have a legitimate demurral request, and he knows how to handle it, he isn't going to just grant your demurral and dimiss the ticket. He will schedule a hearing on your demurral, and you will have to come back. You will have to serve your motion on the other party, if you can figure out who that is. This will involve you in a lot of research, clerical work, trips to the court, and trips to the DA. Make one error and it is all for naught.

For these reasons I would say it's a poor strategy. There's a lot of work and the most likely outcome is that it won't succeed and you are then paying the fine you would have paid anyway AND you wasted extra time on top of that.

In my own case, my demurrer was eventually denied after three hearings at successively higher courts, but the traffic court was ordered to dismiss my ticket, for the reasons given in my demurrer (ticket not mailed within 15-day limit). Was it worth it to save $500? Only as an educational project.

Any thoughts on demurring, or you just want chat about a locked thread in this thread. Not much point locking that thread if you are allowed to do that. I frown on it.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Anything posted on FreeAdvice belongs to FreeAdvice. Your topic but their thread...after 10+ years you should know this.

quincy

What is the name of your state? California.

I noticed a few threads about demurring in California traffic court. I tried this once. It worked, but barely.

Generally speaking, demurring in traffic court is not a good strategy for lots of reasons.

1. The judge is not guaranteed to be familiar with the rules of real court, and unless you can authoritatively give him every last reason why he has no alternative but to grant your demurrer, he probably won't. If you aren't an attorney, it's not likely you will be able to be this effective. If you can't marshal a good argument on a web forum, you aren't going to be able to do it on your feet in court.

2. A demurrer is only applicable if you are conceding that that facts as alleged, even if true, do not warrant you being there in court. If it's a simple case of clerical error about which part of the code is cited, then that can be amended and given to you (there's a process, sure). So at best it's just a delay. And that's just causing you a headache with multiple appearances.

3. You can't introduce any evidence in a demurrer. So if your defense is "I wasn't doing that" then you won't be able to demur. The only thing you can use is the complaint. This is a very strict requirement. For example, you can't use the envelope that the complaint came in to show that it was mailed late or to the wrong address.

4. Even if you convince the judge that you have a legitimate demurral request, and he knows how to handle it, he isn't going to just grant your demurral and dimiss the ticket. He will schedule a hearing on your demurral, and you will have to come back. You will have to serve your motion on the other party, if you can figure out who that is. This will involve you in a lot of research, clerical work, trips to the court, and trips to the DA. Make one error and it is all for naught.

For these reasons I would say it's a poor strategy. There's a lot of work and the most likely outcome is that it won't succeed and you are then paying the fine you would have paid anyway AND you wasted extra time on top of that.

In my own case, my demurrer was eventually denied after three hearings at successively higher courts, but the traffic court was ordered to dismiss my ticket, for the reasons given in my demurrer (ticket not mailed within 15-day limit). Was it worth it to save $500? Only as an educational project.
Interesting - but not applicable to most posters who come here seeking advice with their legal concerns.

On this forum, we answer questions that have been asked rather than provide answers to questions that have not been asked. This is not a discussion forum.

We also do not revive old threads. The old threads are archived for reference purposes only, to be revived by the original poster only.

Thank you for adding to today’s thread count.

Last edited:
No, answering it four months later does nothing for anyone.
Anyone who searches for demurring in california traffic court will probably find that thread, and my highly relevant and specific reply, along with a mass of moaning and groaning about unwritten rules.

Last edited:

quincy

Anyone who googles demurring in california traffic court will probably find that thread, and my highly relevant and specific reply, along with a mass of moaning and groaning about unwritten rules.
Then you have accomplished something. Good.

But please remember to not tack stuff on to old threads and please remember that this is not a discussion forum. There are other sites online where you can post your personal experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">