• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark infringement possibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Trademarks in the US are classified using the International Schedule.

A US trademark would be filed in the US. It is possible, however, to file one trademark application for several countries.

Here is a link to your other thread, which will be locked to future postings:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/ic-class-precedence-vs-us-class.658885/

Although it can be smart to gather information for your own knowledge, the trademark attorney you see should know how to handle your trademark issues. :)

Last edited:

I wish, I just finished a five year lawsuit with a construction contractor over a small amount, had three attorneys through the process and had to hold everybody's hand and spell out every tiny detail (over and over) backed with reams of photos, phone recordings, etc. When it comes to court time, these guys are usually spread thin and really not so smart, even at 300 an hour, you just can't assume they know what you are doing and thinking, have to cover every base

So, why is IC listed AND US listed? Are they all the same IC categories?

quincy

I wish, I just finished a five year lawsuit with a construction contractor over a small amount, had three attorneys through the process and had to hold everybody's hand and spell out every tiny detail (over and over) backed with reams of photos, phone recordings, etc. When it comes to court time, these guys are usually spread thin and really not so smart, even at 300 an hour, you just can't assume they know what you are doing and thinking, have to cover every base

So, why is IC listed AND US listed? Are they all the same IC categories?
Do you have a trademark application in front of you? You are asked to provide the “International Class” of goods and services (along with basic information like a description and filing basis).

Ok, I know you list the IC classification when applying, I was wondering where the US classes following come from. I have looked around and one article said they were generated by the USPTO automatically, I guess from the products you list being referenced to the older US classification system. Does it hold any legal weight or, is the IC Class you apply for the only one recognized for trademark? In examples I am seeing, there is one IC classification listed followed by several US classifications some of which have nothing to do with the IC classification.

quincy

Ok, I know you list the IC classification when applying, I was wondering where the US classes following come from. I have looked around and one article said they were generated by the USPTO automatically, I guess from the products you list being referenced to the older US classification system. Does it hold any legal weight or, is the IC Class you apply for the only one recognized for trademark? In examples I am seeing, there is one IC classification listed followed by several US classifications some of which have nothing to do with the IC classification.
The classifications are primarily administrative. They help with cataloging trademarks. You should include the international classification when completing your application. The classes you are focusing on should not be of concern to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">