• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Instagram automation software

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mkl_Way

Hello, so I am wondering if this is illegal or not? I am social media marketer and I am using Instagram automation software (against their terms of service). It's used to organically grow an Instagram account. One particular growth method is called mother/slave method. Where mother is your main account and those "slaves" are multiple account that will be driving traffic to your main account. My concern is, since automation is against Instagram TOS, but I am not doing illegal activities (like scamming). So if it is not defined as a illegal by Instagram (but is against TOS) can I be sued for something like this?

Just Blue

Hello, so I am wondering if this is illegal or not? I am social media marketer and I am using Instagram automation software (against their terms of service). It's used to organically grow an Instagram account. One particular growth method is called mother/slave method. Where mother is your main account and those "slaves" are multiple account that will be driving traffic to your main account. My concern is, since automation is against Instagram TOS, but I am not doing illegal activities (like scamming). So if it is not defined as a illegal by Instagram (but is against TOS) can I be sued for something like this?
What state? Do you have lots and lots of money?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh, you mean like improperly accessing a computer network?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
So if it is not defined as a illegal by Instagram (but is against TOS) can I be sued for something like this?
Instagram does not define what is illegal. Congress and the state legislatures define what is illegal.

Even if what you are doing is not a crime, you are admitting to breaching the contract (and the TOS with Instagram is part of your contract with the company) and it is certainly possible that you might be sued by the company for that violation if the company suffers damages as a result of what you are doing. You certainly run the risk that the company will completely shut down your Instagram account as a result of this activity if you are caught. Is it worth the risk to your business to lose that particular social media outlet?

quincy

Could you be sued for using an Instagram automation “bot” to perform services in violation of Instagram’s terms of use? Possibly. You certainly risk having your account terminated and, if you are a hired marketer, you risk being fired.

The reason it can be a big marketing mistake to use bots (to follow others’ accounts, to leave comments, to add emojis) is that you are leaving what should be human decisions up to non humans, and non humans can’t distinguish likeable content from objectionable content.

In other words, it is not only a violation of the terms you have agreed to (i.e., “You must not access Instagram’s private API by means other than those permitted by Instagram”), using automation software could harm the reputation of a company you’ve been charged with promoting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">