• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am on SSI/SSDI and have direct deposit do I need to do anything to get my stimulus?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

Actually, no, it's not. As was mentioned, the stimulus money is "no strings attached", whereas the support has a specific intended purpose.
The stimulus money has a specific purpose as well, actually two. Pump up the economy and help the people make it through the pandemic.

Neither of which are helped by taking out this group of people. And this group includes both parents of disabled adult children and the adult children themselves (both on SSDI and Not).

quincy

The stimulus money has a specific purpose as well, actually two. Pump up the economy and help the people make it through the pandemic.

Neither of which are helped by taking out this group of people. And this group includes both parents of disabled adult children and the adult children themselves (both on SSDI and Not).
I am actually surprised by all of the exclusions.

Although we rent primarily to college students and have excused rent payments for April and May, I thought at least our young tenants would have stimulus money available for food. I guess most of them won’t.

PayrollHRGuy

And I'd bet some of those student work (or worked) parttime, paid taxes, and are now not reaping one of the benefits of being a USAian.

quincy

And I'd bet some of those student work (or worked) parttime, paid taxes, and are now not reaping one of the benefits of being a USAian.
Exactly. Most had part time jobs that they lost because of the closing of the businesses they worked for. The closures not only eliminated paychecks but, because many worked in restaurants, they also lost free meals (a perk most restaurant businesses in the area offer(ed) employees).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Fair enough points.

By the way, I am not disagreeing with you on this. I'm just pointing out an alternate viewpoint ;)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
An adult child that is not capable of living alone because of a disability NO CHECK.
The idea there is that most of the disabled person's cost of care is not paid by the disabled person or he/she would not be a dependent. So instead the law provides extra stimulus money to the person who is supposedly paying those expenses. IMO that concept is sound.

quincy

The idea there is that most of the disabled person's cost of care is not paid by the disabled person or he/she would not be a dependent. So instead the law provides extra stimulus money to the person who is supposedly paying those expenses. IMO that concept is sound.
Except the extra $500 stimulus money is NOT being provided to the person claiming the disabled adult as a dependent.

Dependent disabled adults are one of the exclusions. They are ineligible for the $1200 for themselves and the one claiming the disabled adult as a dependent is ineligible to collect the $500.

Both dependents ages 17 to 24 and disabled adult dependents (and some others) were omitted from the stimulus relief bill. They get nothing and no one gets anything for them.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Both dependents ages 17 to 24 and disabled adult dependents (and some others) were omitted from the stimulus relief bill. They get nothing and no one gets anything for them.
That may indeed be an oversight. But if anyone is to get extra money for the dependent disabled person, IMO it is the person supporting the disabled person.

quincy

That may indeed be an oversight. But if anyone is to get extra money for the dependent disabled person, IMO it is the person supporting the disabled person.
I agree that the one claiming a person as a dependent should get the extra $500 stimulus money to help with the continuing expenses of the dependent, whether the dependent is under 17, 17-24, a disabled adult or an elderly adult. The need for extra money to provide for the dependents has not been greater.

And apparently there is no appeal process set up, either, so it is what it is - and unfortunately what it is falls far short of what it should be.

FlyingRon

It's not clear to me why someone who is not working on SSI/SSDI needs additional sucking at the federal teat. The intent of the stimulus is to cover people who are willing and able to work.

quincy

It's not clear to me why someone who is not working on SSI/SSDI needs additional sucking at the federal teat. The intent of the stimulus is to cover people who are willing and able to work.
DisabledGeek is a dependent. Whoever claimed him as a dependent deserves $500 as much as the parents of kids do. Expenses (the costs of living) did not disappear even though many jobs did.

The stimulus money is to stimulate the economy and to help people survive.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
And apparently there is no appeal process set up, either, so it is what it is - and unfortunately what it is falls far short of what it should be.
Well, there is no formal appeal process for the advance stimulus payment. If an eligible person didn't get the advance payment, however, he or she may still claim the credit on the 2020 return. That's not helpful now, unfortunately, but at least the credit isn't lost entirely.

quincy

Well, there is no formal appeal process for the advance stimulus payment. If an eligible person didn't get the advance payment, however, he or she may still claim the credit on the 2020 return. That's not helpful now, unfortunately, but at least the credit isn't lost entirely.
Yup. It does not help all that much right now in buying groceries or paying the rent/mortgage. But I guess it might make some people look forward to paying their 2020 taxes next year. I actually doubt it ... but who knows. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">