• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cousin Guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I used to post here as Nellie Bly.

Anyway I am the guardian of my 63 year old cousin. She is schizophrenic and I think she is in the beginning of dementia. She was living in elderly/disabled housing.

I live 20 miles away and don’t drive but talk with her daily.

She was telling me about her housekeeper and how the housekeeper would come and clean, etc. I believed her.

The next thing, she is getting evicted over the squalor in her apartment.

Before that happened she was hospitalized with an infected foot. She was subsequently sent to a nursing home, 2 hours away.

In the meantime, her housing complex got a grant (yes a grant) to shovel out her apartment.

All well and good .

The nursing home wants to discharge her. She is 2 hours away and I don’t know how to drive. I don’t know what’s in her apartment or even if she has a bed. Her old one had to be thrown away.

She can’t go home without services and I don’t know how to obtain services, because everything is closed.

She doesn’t even have a key to her apartment.

Anyway she can’t come to my house because my lease precludes additional tenants, I have an autistic son and a biting dog. Plus I can’t deal with a schizophrenic person.

I know once she leaves the nursing home, I have to care for her.

Can someone throw me a lifeline?

Just Blue

I used to post here as Nellie Bly.

Anyway I am the guardian of my 63 year old cousin. She is schizophrenic and I think she is in the beginning of dementia. She was living in elderly/disabled housing.

I live 20 miles away and don’t drive but talk with her daily.

She was telling me about her housekeeper and how the housekeeper would come and clean, etc. I believed her.

The next thing, she is getting evicted over the squalor in her apartment.

Before that happened she was hospitalized with an infected foot. She was subsequently sent to a nursing home, 2 hours away.

In the meantime, her housing complex got a grant (yes a grant) to shovel out her apartment.

All well and good .

The nursing home wants to discharge her. She is 2 hours away and I don’t know how to drive. I don’t know what’s in her apartment or even if she has a bed. Her old one had to be thrown away.

She can’t go home without services and I don’t know how to obtain services, because everything is closed.

She doesn’t even have a key to her apartment.

Anyway she can’t come to my house because my lease precludes additional tenants, I have an autistic son and a biting dog. Plus I can’t deal with a schizophrenic person.

I know once she leaves the nursing home, I have to care for her.

Can someone throw me a lifeline?
https://www.google.com/search?q=dept of mental health springfield ma&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS863US868&oq=dept+of+mental+health+springfield+ma&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.17642j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&sxsrf=ALeKk03xVFHkwQ3S7x7-OdrF3CoMr3sQQQ:1588659512457&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=42113094,-72591167,1298&tbm=lcl&rldimm=659122827372359709&lqi=CiRkZXB0IG9mIG1lbnRhbCBoZWFsdGggc3ByaW5nZmllbGQgbWFIiqqp3e2AgIAIWk0KFWRlcHQgb2YgbWVudGFsIGhlYWx0aBAAEAEQAhADGAIYAxgEGAUiJGRlcHQgb2YgbWVudGFsIGhlYWx0aCBzcHJpbmdmaWVsZCBtYQ&ved=2ahUKEwjuuKLviZzpAhXUPn0KHa4NCQIQvS4wAnoECAwQLg&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1!1m5!1u15!2m2!15m1!1shas_1wheelchair_1accessible_1entrance!4e2!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2&rlst=f#rlfi=hd:;si:659122827372359709,l,CiRkZXB0IG9mIG1lbnRhbCBoZWFsdGggc3ByaW5nZmllbGQgbWFIiqqp3e2AgIAIWk0KFWRlcHQgb2YgbWVudGFsIGhlYWx0aBAAEAEQAhADGAIYAxgEGAUiJGRlcHQgb2YgbWVudGFsIGhlYWx0aCBzcHJpbmdmaWVsZCBtYQ;mv:[[42.3247181,-72.5672196],[42.0809792,-72.6529138]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2

https://www.springfield-ma.gov/hhs/index.php?id=elderaffairs

You could try ^^ one of the links and see if they can assist. If you give me the city/town/county she is located in, I'll see what I can find.

I’m sorry I forgot to state , we’re in Massachusetts. She lives in Hampshire County, I live in Hampden County and the nursing home is in the Berkshires.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm also going to suggest speaking with her PCP. S/he should know how to access help. Or perhaps her insurance?

Good to see you, Nellie. Hope you are otherwise well.

How and why did you get to be guardian in the first place?
This is where it gets weird. A decade or so ago, she had some kind of Coumadin reaction and was actually comatose. I was the only candidate because my other cousin, who lives in my city, has a huge developmental disability. We have no other relatives here, except my son.

Anyway, she made a full recovery and we got on with our lives. A while later I received a letter from the court saying I needed to file guardianship reports. I had no idea!

So we went to court, apparently nobody has a guardianship dropped, but the court granted it. Everyone gave my cousin a big round of applause, even the judge. I found out my cousin’s attorney never filed whatever is necessary and either moved away or died. So I’m still guardian.

Really, I’m not up to this.

Just Blue

I’m sorry I forgot to state , we’re in Massachusetts. She lives in Hampshire County, I live in Hampden County and the nursing home is in the Berkshires.
I was hoping she was not in Western Mass....the services aren't nearly as good. I'll see what I can find.

Zzdoodah, you are correct. I have become agoraphobic. I will only leave the house with my son or to walk the dog.

The only other candidate is her brother, who has a moderate developmental disability. The rest of our family has either moved out of state or passed away.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Zzdoodah, you are correct. I have become agoraphobic. I will only leave the house with my son or to walk the dog.

The only other candidate is her brother, who has a moderate developmental disability. The rest of our family has either moved out of state or passed away.
Lawyer, IMO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">