• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sell a list of my favorite music?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tripoli220

My intention is not to copy or redistribute other people's work, what I would like to do is create a music playlist in a text format such as a PDF for example, then I would like to share the first 25 songs for free by providing a link to it in the sales letter to a YouTube playlist containing the first 25 songs (songs that are already freely available on YouTube)

The list of music in the PDF that I want to sell would also contain a link after every title that refers the person to the music video of that song (that is also already freely available on YouTube), I would like to know if such a thing would be legally possible, I imagine it would be similar to a magazine creating a top ten list and then putting the magazine up for sale, thanks to anyone for their contribution to my question.

FlyingRon

Sure, nothing illegal about it. Not sure what the business model is. Why would I pay for such a thing? Billboard magazine has been doing that sort of thing since before there was an internet.

quincy

My intention is not to copy or redistribute other people's work, what I would like to do is create a music playlist in a text format such as a PDF for example, then I would like to share the first 25 songs for free by providing a link to it in the sales letter to a YouTube playlist containing the first 25 songs (songs that are already freely available on YouTube)

The list of music in the PDF that I want to sell would also contain a link after every title that refers the person to the music video of that song (that is also already freely available on YouTube), I would like to know if such a thing would be legally possible, I imagine it would be similar to a magazine creating a top ten list and then putting the magazine up for sale, thanks to anyone for their contribution to my question.
What you propose could be doable but without direct links to the videos as the direct links show the videos. There is no problem with publishing a list of videos (name and author/artist) that are available on YouTube.

Like FlyingRon, however, I question the value of such a list.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

From the ABA. https://www.americanbar.org/groups/business_law/migrated/safeselling/content/

Can I link to another site’s content?
Your can direct your visitors to useful information elsewhere on the Internet by providing links to other sites where such information appears. Linking is a way to enhance the usability of a website because it can take a user directly and quickly to something they are looking for. However, links can inadvertently infringe copyrights or trademarks owned by the linked site, if they duplicate the information contained in the linked page and incorporates it, sometimes “framed” by the material behind it. A link should simply transport the visitor to the other site, without repeating the content found there.

quincy

Links are generally not a problem. I am known to use them frequently. ;)

But the type of link matters.

In addition, problems can arise when using other people’s copyright-protected material as a way to promote your own business.

There also can be problems in quoting too much of a copyright-protected article, PayrollHRGuy. Just the link to the content from the ABA website would have been better. Here is a link to the ABA’s copyright notice: https://www.americanbar.org/about_the_aba/copyright/

Last edited:

quincy

From the ABA https://www.americanbar.org/groups/business_law/migrated/safeselling/content/

Information specifically about links. Scroll down to the second headline.
THAT is acceptable. :)

If you actually read the content you linked to and the ABA’s intellectual property rights policy I linked to, you can see how your previous posts could be seen as infringing on the ABA’s copyrights. You quoted too much of the material. The moderator edited the length of your quote.

With the YouTube videos, the reason those links are problematic is that they publish the actual videos. In some cases with some YouTube videos, this is not a problem. More often than not, however, it IS a problem.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

The list of music in the PDF that I want to sell
There's the problem word "sell."

Any time you do it for money you run the risk of being sued for infringement, even if you are not infringing. Let me be more clear. You CAN be sued even if you are in the right and a lawsuit can cost you tens of thousands in legal fees even if you are in the right.

Consult an intellectual property attorney. What you pay him now is $$. What you pay him to defend you against a lawsuit is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

quincy

There's the problem word "sell."

Any time you do it for money you run the risk of being sued for infringement, even if you are not infringing. Let me be more clear. You CAN be sued even if you are in the right and a lawsuit can cost you tens of thousands in legal fees even if you are in the right.

Consult an intellectual property attorney. What you pay him now is $$. What you pay him to defend you against a lawsuit is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
One doesn’t have to make money on the infringed material to be sued for infringement. It is just harder to use fair use as a defense to infringement when the use is commercial.

PayrollHRGuy

THAT is acceptable. :)

If you actually read the content you linked to and the ABA’s intellectual property rights policy I linked to, you can see how your previous posts could be seen as infringing on the ABA’s copyrights. You quoted too much of the material.

With the YouTube videos, the reason those links are problematic is that they publish the actual videos. In some cases with some YouTube videos, this is not a problem. More often than not, however, it IS a problem.
If there is a problem with a YouTube video that problem belongs to YouTube and the person/entity that posted the video. Not someone that posts a link because the links aren't copyright protected and there is no deep linking as discussed in the ABA article I posted with YouTube videos.

quincy

If there is a problem with a YouTube video that problem belongs to YouTube and the person/entity that posted the video. Not someone that posts a link because the links aren't copyright protected and there is no deep linking as discussed in the ABA article I posted with YouTube videos.
No. That is incorrect. The infringement occurs with the unauthorized publication of the video.

You can link to YouTube without “deep” linking to a specific video.

PayrollHRGuy

No. That is incorrect. The infringement occurs with the unauthorized publication of the video.

You can link to YouTube without linking to a specific video.
Posting a link like www,youtube,com/Tg5hs63 is not publishing a video. Any unauthorized publication is being done by YouTube and the person that posted the video.

What might be publishing is what this site does if I simply write the URL to a Youtube video and then this site parses it and plays it in this window.

All I did was insert the link.

quincy

PayrollHRGuy, from the ABA article you linked to earlier: “A link should simply transport the visitor to the other site, without repeating the content found there.

Bolding added.

Your latest post with video was reported for moderator review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">