• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sell a list of my favorite music?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy, from the ABA article you linked to earlier: “A link should simply transport the visitor to the other site, without repeating the content found there.

Bolding added.

Your latest post with video was reported for moderator review.
Why, I didn't do that the site did. If anyone is violating something with that post it is the site and not me. And since that is a top-level video and a YT Original I'm sure YT would be happy with all the hits it can get.

quincy

Why, I didn't do that the site did. If anyone is violating something with that post it is the site and not me. And since that is a top-level video and a YT Original I'm sure YT would be happy with all the hits it can get.
Did you read the information that you posted from the ABA? Start with that. ;)

zddoodah

then I would like to share the first 25 songs for free by providing a link to it in the sales letter to a YouTube playlist containing the first 25 songs
I'm not quite following.

Let's start with "sales letter." What does that mean? Is this a letter you're going to send to someone? If so, to whom are you going to send it?

Also, you wrote that you want "to share the . . . songs" (plural) "by providing a link to it." To what does "it" refer? Are you saying you're going to send someone a list of links to videos on YouTube?

(songs that are already freely available on YouTube)
Just because something is on YouTube doesn't mean it's there with the permission of the appropriate rights holders.

The list of music in the PDF
I assume you mean the list will be in the PDF (since you can't put music in a PDF).

the PDF that I want to sell would also contain a link after every title that refers the person to the music video of that song (that is also already freely available on YouTube), I would like to know if such a thing would be legally possible
If all you're doing is distributing a list of links to stuff that is legally on YouTube, that's not a problem. I do, however, have to wonder why you'd think anyone would pay for that.

quincy

I did, did you read the one I posted?

But since I obviously missed what you think I violated please let me know what it is.
You cannot publish content that is rights-protected without authorization from the copyright holder.

There is a difference between linking and deep linking.

quincy

I didn't post a video. I posted a link. Free Advises software posted the video and YouTube is one of the sites approved by the FA.

The YouTube link in your list above is not a deep link to the content. See the difference between it and the video you posted?

Here is a link to YouTube’s Terms of Use. See the Permissions and Restrictions section:

https://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms

But the list you posted above is a change to this site I have overlooked. Interesting.

Last edited:

tripoli220

Thanks everyone for your insights your really scaring the **** out of me but that's good, just something I had rolling around in my head so now i can focus on other things, i believe it when that guy said that when you start using someone else's work to make money that that's when all sue monkeys come flying out of their caves, and that you don't need to be in the wrong to get sued.

quincy

Thanks everyone for your insights your really scaring the **** out of me but that's good, just something I had rolling around in my head so now i can focus on other things, i believe it when that guy said that when you start using someone else's work to make money that that's when all sue monkeys come flying out of their caves, and that you don't need to be in the wrong to get sued.
Yup. It can be legally risky to use copyright-protected material without permission from the copyright holders.

Again, though, creating a list of artists who have YouTube videos should not be a problem. You can publish the names of the artists and the names of their videos in a Top 25 list, using whatever criteria you want to use to rank them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">