• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible law suite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

can they gift me the money?
Even if you are gifted money, once your friend moves in and s/he lives with you for awhile (over 2 weeks?), you will not be able to just kick out the friend. You must serve a notice to quit and follow the eviction process. This is true whether you have a written lease agreement or not, whether your friend pays rent or not.

And, if your friend claims the money was not a gift but a loan, without a written agreement between you and the friend, you could find yourself sued for the amount of money given to you.

I recommend you discuss the pros and cons of your proposed plan with an attorney in your area.

quincy

You've given us no reason to believe they lack this ability.
In case you are wondering, limpyL, Doodah is pointing out (unnecessarily) that the dictionary definition of “can” is one’s ability or power or skill to do something.

The use of the word “can” in your earlier post, however, was clearly and easily understood by everyone else who responded to your question. The way you used “can” is common.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
can they gift me the money?
Let me state this quite plainly for you: If you provide lodging for free to your friend, but then your friend "gifts" you money periodically in exchange...that's still "rent". Don't play games...do it right.

quincy

Let me state this quite plainly for you: If you provide lodging for free to your friend, but then your friend "gifts" you money periodically in exchange...that's still "rent". Don't play games...do it right.
My understanding is that the monetary “gift” is a onetime gift to be used for modifications to the house.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My understanding is that the monetary “gift” is a onetime gift to be used for modifications to the house.
You're probably right. I didn't see the reason for the OP to ask, basically, the same question, but I do understand that the OP may not have realized that it was, basically, the same question.

quincy

limpyL has had issues with tenants in the past so he really needs to be cautious when having someone move into his home. All terms and conditions of this (rather odd) arrangement should be committed to writing - and the writing best drafted by an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">