• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which one is the Purchase Date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Col72

I had a gas fireplace installed in my home.
For warranty purposes is the purchase date the date I paid the deposit, the date the installation was completed, or the date I paid the balance?

quincy

For warranty purposes is the purchase date the date I paid the deposit, the date the installation was completed, or the date I paid the balance?
What does your warranty say?

The typical warranty starts on the day of purchase, and not on the delivery date, installation date or date you finish paying.

adjusterjack

Why are you asking? Is somebody telling you it's out of warranty?

quincy

You’re welcome, Col72. I appreciate the thanks.

If you have a written warranty for your gas fireplace, you should check it. It should state somewhere the effective date and the expiration date. If the warranty is not a written warranty, there is still an implied warranty. What you purchase should do what it is supposed to do.

I hope your gas fireplace serves you well.

zddoodah

It depends on the exact terms of the warranty. Unless the language is clear, then there could be reasonable arguments for multiple dates. For example, let's say that, on 6/19, you sign the contract for the installation of the fireplace. The contract requires payment of a down payment by 6/26 (which payment you make) and allows you to pay the balance in three monthly installments starting on the date that installation is completed. The contractor completes installation on 7/24. You make final payment on 9/25.

I would say that, in the absence of express language in the warranty that says otherwise, there could be no reasonable argument for the warranty starting on 9/25, but I could make reasonable arguments for any of the three other dates. So, again, it depends on the exact language of the warranty.

quincy

It depends on the exact terms of the warranty. Unless the language is clear, then there could be reasonable arguments for multiple dates. For example, let's say that, on 6/19, you sign the contract for the installation of the fireplace. The contract requires payment of a down payment by 6/26 (which payment you make) and allows you to pay the balance in three monthly installments starting on the date that installation is completed. The contractor completes installation on 7/24. You make final payment on 9/25.

I would say that, in the absence of express language in the warranty that says otherwise, there could be no reasonable argument for the warranty starting on 9/25, but I could make reasonable arguments for any of the three other dates. So, again, it depends on the exact language of the warranty.
The language of the warranty is the best way to determine effective date and expiration date but, if there is no written warranty, the presumption will be that the implied warranty was effective from the date of purchase.

PayrollHRGuy

While the wording of the warranty is certainly critical I don't ever believe I have seen such a warranty on an item that requires professional installation and that the seller or their contractor that didn't begin on the day the install was complete. And as I'm in the middle of a metric butt load of such warranties of late.

The deposit date certainly should be it. You don't even have access and use of the item at that point.
The pay off date certainly doesn't because that would imply you don't have a warranty while you have access and use of the item.
The only logical date is the date the insulation is complete.

Those are all assuming the OP had the fireplace purchased and installed but the same entity or their contractor.

On the other hand, if the OP ordered the item and then installed it himself or had it installed by a contractor. Then the item's warranty would have started either on the date shipped or received.

quincy

While the wording of the warranty is certainly critical I don't ever believe I have seen such a warranty on an item that requires professional installation and that the seller or their contractor that didn't begin on the day the install was complete. And as I'm in the middle of a metric butt load of such warranties of late.

The deposit date certainly should be it. You don't even have access and use of the item at that point.
The pay off date certainly doesn't because that would imply you don't have a warranty while you have access and use of the item.
The only logical date is the date the insulation is complete.

Those are all assuming the OP had the fireplace purchased and installed but the same entity or their contractor.

On the other hand, if the OP ordered the item and then installed it himself or had it installed by a contractor. Then the item's warranty would have started either on the date shipped or received.
In California, there was some argument over warranty effective dates because some people were paying for items and not having these items delivered for weeks - and yet the effective dates on the warranties were still on day of purchase.

The advice is to read warranties carefully before purchase. Some retailers will extend the warranty period for a consumer who misses the expiration date by a few days and who had a period of time when they were waiting for delivery or installation. But offering extensions remain at the discretion of the retailer/manufacturers.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0252-warranties

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">