• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Asking For COVID Testing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm101010

There are no aversions to testing. We ordered a home test already. They want her to travel to a site rather than wait the extra day and frankly it’s frustrating since she will have to take unpaid time and there is no guarantee it’s quicker (we called the sites already). Also she works remotely when she’s onsite anyway so she’s not essential to be one site.

I’m still blown away it’s okay to demand an invasive test on a text thread and discuss such information with others reading.

What in the WORLD is your aversion to testing???
How does your wife intend to prove to the employer that she has, in fact, remained quarantined? (She can't)

adjusterjack

In all we just want to be safe and quarantine for 14 days to make sure she is being safe. We don't even mind taking the time off (they don't offer sick days), but they are being aggressive about trying to make her get tested. I just don't like how this is going.
How's this for a solid answer:

California update for June 24, 2020. California now has 190,222 confirmed cases of COVID-19, resulting in 5,632 deaths. The number of COVID-related deaths increased by 0.9 percent from Monday's total of 5,580. The number of COVID-19 diagnostic test results in California reached a total of 3,592,899, an increase of 95,970 tests since Monday. The rate of positive tests over the last 14 days is 5.1%. California’s hospitalizations due to COVID-19 increased by 227 from Monday.
This is a very volatile and unpredictable disease. That 14 day thing is only a guess.

I’m still blown away it’s okay to demand an invasive test on a text thread and discuss such information with others reading.
Then pay a lawyer to file a lawsuit. Spend lots of money. Wait a year or two for the judge to tell you that you lose because nobody's getting punished for getting something wrong during the crisis, if it was even wrong at all.

By the way, this is no different from an employer texting all the employee's "OK, everybody, go to the lab right now for your random drug test."

Bet you'd be ticked off at that, too.

PayrollHRGuy

There are no aversions to testing. We ordered a home test already. They want her to travel to a site rather than wait the extra day and frankly it’s frustrating since she will have to take unpaid time and there is no guarantee it’s quicker (we called the sites already). Also she works remotely when she’s onsite anyway so she’s not essential to be one site.

I wouldn't allow a home test to be used if I were an employer requiring testing. Unless the home test comes with a medical professional in the box to make sure the test is done properly.

While have a swab stuck up your nose is certainly not enjoyable I don't know that I'd call it invasive. The results are going to be on a piece of paper. She should hand that piece of paper to the employer when she returns to work. There is no reason that her results need to be on the text thread.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the record, privacy laws in the US are nowhere near as broad as most people assume them to be.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wouldn't allow a home test to be used if I were an employer requiring testing. Unless the home test comes with a medical professional in the box to make sure the test is done properly.

While have a swab stuck up your nose is certainly not enjoyable I don't know that I'd call it invasive. The results are going to be on a piece of paper. She should hand that piece of paper to the employer when she returns to work. There is no reason that her results need to be on the text thread.
Heck, it might even be an oral swab. And the results are usually accessed by clicking a link in an email. It's super easy.

cm101010

helpful, thank you!

Just Blue

The COVID test is not, in any way, "invasive". It's a nasal swab.

quincy

It is long enough that I doubt anyone would stick it far enough in on themselves.
I agree. I think it best if someone does it who knows what they’re doing.

We have free drive-through sites here and it was relatively fast and easy to get a test. Having a swab stuck up your nose is not the most pleasant thing in the world, but it wasn’t horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">