• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-girlfriend left all her furniture in my apartment and wants it back after a month of abandoning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chicago Cub

Ex-girlfriend moved into my apartment about two months ago. She moved from Indianapolis, IN to Chicago, IL. I had paid for a 27' moving truck and a moving company to move the heavy stuff up the stairs at about $500 in total moving costs. After about two full weeks, she got tired of living here and kept going back to Indy on the weekends to visit family. This happened from about a month and she'd go back every other weekend. So in total she has lived in Illinois for about two weeks. The last time she went back to Indy she stayed for about a week and a half and decided she didn't want to live in Illinois anymore and was going to move back to Indy. She left literally everything but a backpack full of stuff. Needless to say, our relationship ended because we had already done long distance for a year up to this point when she got cold feet.

So with all that said, I stayed civil when she said she wanted to get her clothes and small pieces of furniture with a small 10' truck. I allowed it and even helped her friend peacefully move what she wanted to take with her and she said she would just leave all the rest (couch, bed, tv, appliances, decorations, tables). After about a month later, I have blocked her on every medium of communication to move forward except for her guy friend (we have been talking sometimes about little things she needed, didn't see it as a problem). Now that I finally got in a good head space I get a text from him saying that the ex now wants all her stuff back....a month later.....after I peacefully allowed her to get all that she wanted the first time. I told him I do not wish to have any of them back on my property. He proceeded to tell me she would take me to small claims court for her possessions. She is a felon and has very little money for court fees. What is the law in Illinois about abandoning possessions like that? Is it still considered hers even though she left it in my apartment that she is not on the lease with. And left a month ago and came back just now changing her mind in the matter. I am worried they will just show up next weekend (as the dude threatened they were going to do and basically said I can do this the easy way or hard way). I would just give back all the stuff to get her out of my hair but I do not have money to move it all out and neither do they but I also don't wish for them to come into my apartment by myself. I also know that this guy friend owns a few guns. Any legal/general advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

quincy

I suggest you simply arrange for a time when she can come to pick up the rest of her belongings. You probably should have insisted that everything be removed when she first came to retrieve her property.

If you are afraid of her for some reason, you can have friends over.

LdiJ

Ex-girlfriend moved into my apartment about two months ago. She moved from Indianapolis, IN to Chicago, IL. I had paid for a 27' moving truck and a moving company to move the heavy stuff up the stairs at about $500 in total moving costs. After about two full weeks, she got tired of living here and kept going back to Indy on the weekends to visit family. This happened from about a month and she'd go back every other weekend. So in total she has lived in Illinois for about two weeks. The last time she went back to Indy she stayed for about a week and a half and decided she didn't want to live in Illinois anymore and was going to move back to Indy. She left literally everything but a backpack full of stuff. Needless to say, our relationship ended because we had already done long distance for a year up to this point when she got cold feet.

So with all that said, I stayed civil when she said she wanted to get her clothes and small pieces of furniture with a small 10' truck. I allowed it and even helped her friend peacefully move what she wanted to take with her and she said she would just leave all the rest (couch, bed, tv, appliances, decorations, tables). After about a month later, I have blocked her on every medium of communication to move forward except for her guy friend (we have been talking sometimes about little things she needed, didn't see it as a problem). Now that I finally got in a good head space I get a text from him saying that the ex now wants all her stuff back....a month later.....after I peacefully allowed her to get all that she wanted the first time. I told him I do not wish to have any of them back on my property. He proceeded to tell me she would take me to small claims court for her possessions. She is a felon and has very little money for court fees. What is the law in Illinois about abandoning possessions like that? Is it still considered hers even though she left it in my apartment that she is not on the lease with. And left a month ago and came back just now changing her mind in the matter. I am worried they will just show up next weekend (as the dude threatened they were going to do and basically said I can do this the easy way or hard way). I would just give back all the stuff to get her out of my hair but I do not have money to move it all out and neither do they but I also don't wish for them to come into my apartment by myself. I also know that this guy friend owns a few guns. Any legal/general advise would be appreciated. Thank you.
She did not abandon her possessions. Its only been a month. Now, if it had been six months or more you might have more of an argument, however at this point, you are basically stealing her property if you don't give it back. Call the police and see if they will do a civil standby while they get her stuff out of your apartment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She did not abandon her possessions. Its only been a month. Now, if it had been six months or more you might have more of an argument, however at this point, you are basically stealing her property if you don't give it back. Call the police and see if they will do a civil standby while they get her stuff out of your apartment.
If the OP has followed the appropriate steps (in his state) for notifying her that her property would be considered abandoned, then the time frame doesn't really matter. If the OP has not followed the appropriate steps, then even 6 months later, he would need to follow the appropriate steps.

quincy

After a 7-day notice to remove the property has been given, the property can be considered abandoned if not removed. In Chicago.

LdiJ

After a 7-day notice to remove the property has been given, the property can be considered abandoned if not removed. In Chicago.
Then he would need to give that 7 days notice and give her the opportunity to retrieve the items. Which means, if she wants to come this weekend its best he let her do so.

quincy

Then he would need to give that 7 days notice and give her the opportunity to retrieve the items. Which means, if she wants to come this weekend its best he let her do so.
No argument from me there. Chicago Cub should let his friend know in advance that everything needs to be removed at the scheduled time, with nothing left behind for retrieval later.

zddoodah

What is the law in Illinois about abandoning possessions like that?
Abandonment occurs when a person parts with possession of property with the intent of relinquishing ownership. It is not clear from your post whether that occured.

Is it still considered hers even though she left it in my apartment that she is not on the lease with.
See above.

Any legal/general advise would be appreciated.
The smart thing to do would be to give verbal and written notice that she and whatever people she wants to have help her can show up on such-and-such a date between x:00 and y:00 to retrieve any and all of her stuff that remains in your place. You could even move it all into the hallway or into the front yard in anticipation of her arrival.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Abandonment occurs when a person parts with possession of property with the intent of relinquishing ownership. It is not clear from your post whether that occured.
Correct - but proper notice would clarify that, as explained above.

The smart thing to do would be to give verbal and written notice that she and whatever people she wants to have help her can show up on such-and-such a date between x:00 and y:00 to retrieve any and all of her stuff that remains in your place. You could even move it all into the hallway or into the front yard in anticipation of her arrival.
That's not really how the notice works. She could choose show up on any day prior to the expiration of the notice. If the OP refuses that accommodate her (reasonably), then the OP may well lose in court if suit is brought over the matter.

quincy

Chicago Cub should be prepared for his ex-girlfriend to come to retrieve her property any time within the 7-day notice period but he should try to pin her down to a specific date and time, for everyone’s convenience.

Chicago Cub, if your ex-girlfriend still has a key to the apartment, you should get it from her and/or request of the landlord that the lock be changed. You might be charged for the lock change but, if you are concerned about your ex-girlfriend’s guy friend (and his guns), it probably would be worth the cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">