• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

yearly bonus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?AZ

Can anyone tell me how long should it take to really give someone there yearly bonus after your first year?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh, it's you again. Hello.

It depends on the bonus agreement. There is no black and white answer that applies in all situations. What does the bonus agreement say?

quincy

It says in the employee book that we have that after 1 year you get the bonus
I imagine there are a few conditions other than the passage of time?

I know many places are eliminating all raises and bonuses this year because of Covid-19.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It says in the employee book that we have that after 1 year you get the bonus
An "employee [hand]book" rarely rises to the level of an enforceable contract. Even if it did, I suspect that you'll also find that the bonuses are discretionary, which means that they are at the employer's discretion.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's put it this way.

If you are looking for a law that requires an employer to release annual bonuses by x amount of time after the end of the year, there isn't one.

zddoodah

Can anyone tell me how long should it take to really give someone there yearly bonus after your first year?
Why would there be uncertainty about who gets the bonus ("someone") if entitlement is based on me completing my first year?

Rather obviously, an employee's entitlement to a bonus and when the bonus is paid is determined by the employer's policies. How long it "should take" to pay is a question that does not raise a legal issue.

Let's put it this way.

If you are looking for a law that requires an employer to release annual bonuses by x amount of time after the end of the year, there isn't one.
Concur.

quincy

Let's put it this way.

Off topic: Are there freezes on raises and bonuses where you are, cbg? There are at the universities here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is a hiring freeze, upper management got a salary cut, and raises are frozen except where guaranteed by union contract.

quincy

Thanks. So not too different.

(I was going to simply “like” your post because you answered my question but I hate liking posts that have information I don’t especially like :))

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We've also got a voluntary early retirement program ongoing and I am on vacation this week because of a program to use vacation time. MA is one of those states where vacation time is classified as wages so the more vacation people use, the more they can take off the books.

Oh, it's you again. Hello.

It depends on the bonus agreement. There is no black and white answer that applies in all situations. What does the bonus agreement say?
This benefit is an Anniversary Bonus in recognition of Company service only and is not to be confused with, nor interpreted as, vacation pay. Employee’s Current Average Weekly Hours Annual Anniversary Bonus Amount 15 - 23 hours/week $80.00 24 - 31 hours/week $120.00 32 - 39 hours/week $160.00 40+ hours/week $200.0

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This benefit is an Anniversary Bonus in recognition of Company service only and is not to be confused with, nor interpreted as, vacation pay. Employee’s Current Average Weekly Hours Annual Anniversary Bonus Amount 15 - 23 hours/week $80.00 24 - 31 hours/week $120.00 32 - 39 hours/week $160.00 40+ hours/week $200.0
That snippet doesn't tell us anything because there is no context. You would need to take all of your documents to a local attorney for review. Of course, that review (and/or any subsequent action) is likely going to cost more than $200...

also the company is converting all sick pay from our state to pto so as they can say when we want to take a vacation they can actually tell us that they can not spare us because of a shortage of employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">