• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Covid-19 how to deal with non-paying tenats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torx2

NY

So it seems a lot of states have shifted the responsibility from DSS to the Landlord during this Covid-19 pandemic. Lets face it even though the tenants accrue past due rent the chance of payment to the landlord is nil. I am not running a charity here and have to pay my own bills meanwhile the government thinks otherwise.

What can you do when you get stuck with one of these renters that don't pay? Mind you we have an eviction moratoriume here.

Just Blue

NY

So it seems a lot of states have shifted the responsibility from DSS to the Landlord during this Covid-19 pandemic. Lets face it even though the tenants accrue past due rent the chance of payment to the landlord is nil. I am not running a charity here and have to pay my own bills meanwhile the government thinks otherwise.

What can you do when you get stuck with one of these renters that don't pay? Mind you we have an eviction moratoriume here.
Sell the building?

FarmerJ

When does your states moratorium end ? be prepared to FILE right away like the same day it ends because I suspect the courts are going to be flooded by landlords wanting to get rid of their non payers, & other month to month PITA tenants, Ive met one person that is refusing to pay , its a co worker who seems to think her LL wont bother to file and will be happy to see her leave and she wants to use the money she is hoarding to buy a house ( mobile in a park) , Told her if you get out before the LL can file then the LL can still sue you in small claims court and it will affect your credit alot longer than you think. She doesnt seem to care.

bcr229

NY

Is your tenant affected by the CDC's moratorium? If not, NY's moratorium ends Oct 1. I'd have the papers filled out, ready to go, and be in line at the courthouse early to beat the rush.

Torx2

Gov Cuomo(NY) keeps extending the moratorium. It just pisses me off that the government is putting the financial burden on the Landlord. They should set up a rent fund for tenants affected by Covid and do their own collection on the dead beats.

I swear these politicians are clueless to reality

FarmerJ

Torx what has happened in many rental markets is that the percentage of rental units and houses has increased to the point that the number of tenants who do vote has grown as so many homes became rental and politicians are creating rental laws that do things to gain voters favor EG Both MPLS and St Paul have done things to take away tools from landlords , Look at what CA has done they have told LLs tenants can begin to pay as little as 25 % of the rent owed and to get outstanding balances to use regular court instead of eviction to sue for old balances and the worst for many LLs is that even though they may have tenants who wont pay they are still going to be cited if they dont have the money to make repairs ! Or face condemnation if they cant pay water and sewer bills!

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Torx what has happened in many rental markets is that the percentage of rental units and houses has increased to the point that the number of tenants who do vote has grown and politicians are creating rental laws that do things to gain voters favor EG Both MPLS and St Paul have done things to take away tools from landlords , Look at what CA has done they have told LLs tenants can begin to pay as little as 25 % of the rent owed and to get outstanding balances to use regular court instead of eviction to sue for old balances and the worst for many LLs is that even though they may have tenants who wont pay they are still going to be cited if they dont have the money to make repairs ! Or face condemnation if they cant pay water and sewer bills!
Don't forget property taxes , which only go up up up.

quincy

Gov Cuomo(NY) keeps extending the moratorium. It just pisses me off that the government is putting the financial burden on the Landlord. They should set up a rent fund for tenants affected by Covid and do their own collection on the dead beats.

I swear these politicians are clueless to reality
Did you speak to your lender about restructuring your mortgage loan (if you have one)?

Did you apply for the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) available to property owners and small businesses?

FarmerJ

Not2 unless a neighborhood turns in to a total crap hole and home values sink . This lady i know , Rachel she bought her first house in 1986 in the nieghbor hood I moved from in 87, she had a 8 year CD , her gram lent her the down payment and Rachel paid both her Gram and the CD off in those 8 years , her purchase price was 40K and I have to admit the house was great , 3 bedrooms upstairs , FULL living room, big kitchen , big dinning room tons of golden oak woodwork. 1 nice big bedroom on first floor. Sleeping porch upstairs , full porch across the front of the house , nice size back porch ( only huge drawback was the house had a 2 wire 30A electric service that needed to be upgraded) Anyway by the later 90s the homes value had dropped to I think 14,000 , her property taxes did become cheap and her nieghborhood had become such a craphole over run with gangbangers and alot of drug users and of course dealers. SO taxes can drop. BUT with things like maint and water & sewer bills and any other utilities included as well as some citys rental license fees I suspect there is going to be a wave of rental property foreclosures that are going to really hurt the market for a while. Landlords who have had their units 20 or more years may be able to handle the bills with a certain number of non payers BUT for LLs in CA I suspect CA is going to see a explosion of LLs who let the properties go into foreclosure because they have NO choice but to let them go.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
@FarmerJ , OP is in NY, which currently has a freeze on evictions. This is supposed to help out those who have lost income, but some renters have taken this to mean they can just skip paying rent. For example, I know someone whose tenant with a 6 figure income hasn't paid rent since March.

While taxes *can* drop, they aren't about to in lower NY state outside of NYC. We've got people relocating to "vacation" areas, enrolling their kids in local schools, thinking to avoid the second wave. (FWIW, they did that 100 years ago too.)

FarmerJ

We have seen some here choose to move to their lake homes since they can work from home and I imagine some of them have also enrolled kids in local schools as well ( and this last summer according to realtors was a great year to sell lake home property. TORX so again be ready and file the first day you can do so early in the morning too since id lay odds there will be a line up.

Torx2

We have seen some here choose to move to their lake homes since they can work from home and I imagine some of them have also enrolled kids in local schools as well ( and this last summer according to realtors was a great year to sell lake home property. TORX so again be ready and file the first day you can do so early in the morning too since id lay odds there will be a line up.
My tenants are paid up to date so far due to careful screening. I have no mortgages to pay but you have to anticipate the worst case scenario. Gov Cuomo made our eviction for non payment more lengthy as well. Talk is the eviction moratorium will be extended till end of this year.

quincy

My tenants are paid up to date so far due to careful screening. I have no mortgages to pay but you have to anticipate the worst case scenario. Gov Cuomo made our eviction for non payment more lengthy as well. Talk is the eviction moratorium will be extended till end of this year.
Are rent payments from your rental your only source of income?

STEPHAN

We do not renew contracts and let everybody go to month-to-month. This way we can end contracts with a 30-day notice.

Holdover evictions are being processed in my state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">