• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trespassed from restaurant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Can the Police legally be a representative of the restaurant, without written permission from the restaurant to issue a trespass order, absent of any public safety threat, and after the patrons were served, eject the patrons?
All that has to occur here is that the business calls the cops and tells them they have people on their property that they wish removed and given a trespass warning. There is no requirement that the business make a written request, that the business justify the request as being a public safety threat, menace, nuisance or whatever. A business may have a person removed from its premises for any reason other than illegal discrimination, as I stated before.

The restaurant previously ejected patrons because they failed to eat there food in a one-hour limitation beyond the restaurants COV19 rules for table turnover. Recognize that this sort of ejection is not as permanent as a trespass order.
That explains why the police were called this time around. They hung around too long before and were asked to go, and my guess is that they were hanging around too long again and this time the restaurant wanted them given the trespass order by police to make it clear they can't come back. There is nothing illegal about any of that.

pcarsonxx

Again - who are you in this drama?
An interested person searching for age discrimination - does it matter who I am. It seams that the Florida Trespass law is a draconian law giving business owners the power to eject people at will for reasons unknown other than public safety. Business owners it seems could use the police department to discriminate against low profit customers or maybe they don't like old people because they may not be as profitable. As I understand some savvy police departments require written notice other than public safety, requires a sworn statement to reasons why the police were called to eject. To me no owner should call the police until he confronts the customer with his complaint and asks him to leave - if the customer does not leave then the police have a reason to be there.. That did not happen in this case.

Just Blue

An interested person searching for age discrimination - does it matter who I am. It seams that the Florida Trespass law is a draconian law giving business owners the power to eject people at will for reasons unknown other than public safety. Business owners it seems could use the police department to discriminate against low profit customers or maybe they don't like old people because they may not be as profitable. As I understand some savvy police departments require written notice other than public safety, requires a sworn statement to reasons why the police were called to eject. To me no owner should call the police until he confronts the customer with his complaint and asks him to leave - if the customer does not leave then the police have a reason to be there.. That did not happen in this case.
Were you there? Are you friends/related to this couple? Are they the ones to tell you "what happened" or was it someone else?

pcarsonxx

Yes, it does. As a third party. you really don't know what actually happened.
Assume I saw the whole incident from the beginning - there was no reason. I'm told over and over again, that the restaurant owners can eject anyone for any reason whatsoever, and can use taxpayer money, the police, to perform the ejection, allowing manager/owners to remain anonymous. WOW!!!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Assume I saw the whole incident from the beginning - there was no reason. I'm told over and over again, that the restaurant owners can eject anyone for any reason whatsoever, and can use taxpayer money, the police, to perform the ejection, allowing manager/owners to remain anonymous. WOW!!!!
Yeah, I assume nothing. Sorry, Charlie.

pcarsonxx

Yeah, I assume nothing. Sorry, Charlie.
Are you on this site to antagonize people or to intelligently participate in subjects that have true meaning to people who feel they were wronged? I can mentally anticipate your next comment that will be a testimony to your attitude.

Just Blue

Are you on this site to antagonize people or to intelligently participate in subjects that have true meaning to people who feel they were wronged? I can mentally anticipate your next comment that will be a testimony to your attitude.
You were not wronged. And based on your refusal to answer my questions, one can only conclude that you don't even know the elderly couple and are just posting about some gossip you heard.

PayrollHRGuy

I'm told over and over again, that the restaurant owners can eject anyone for any reason whatsoever, and can use taxpayer money, the police, to perform the ejection, allowing manager/owners to remain anonymous. WOW!!!!
Let's say you invited someone to your home. Sooner or later you are going to expect them to leave but they don't. What are you going to do? Might you call the police and have them removed?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
YOU were not wronged. So no, I am not here to discuss subjects with intrigued third parties.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What makes you think it was age discrimination? Just because they were over the age of 40 doesn't mean it was illegal discrimination. However, I will reiterate what the others have said: no laws were broken and the owners have a right to request removal of patrons who are squatting.

(BTW, you DO realize, don't you, that every minute they squat at a table long after they've consumed their food/drinks that they are taking up a table that could be used by paying customers. To loiter is to be incredibly rude.)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm sure we've all lingered at a table over dessert, coffee, drinks... I know I have, but later in the evening. More an "OMG, you're closing and really want to go home!" sorta thing. With a great tip.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">