• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prof of marriage without marriage certificate at US embassy Abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyoli

Please can anyone help tell me how to prove common law marriage without a marriage certificate at the US embassy abroad.

FlyingRon

The embassies and the federal government in general are not in the business of recognizing or certifying foreign marriages. You'll have to talk to the officials in whatever US state you wish to have recognize that you are married.

Onyoli

The embassies and the federal government in general are not in the business of recognizing or certifying foreign marriages. You'll have to talk to the officials in whatever US state you wish to have recognize that you are married.
Thank you very much, you know a marriage certificate is one of the requirements to file form i730 for my wife, but now I’m stock

Onyoli

I’m sorry I thought anyone might have gone through this situation and had a solution. Thanks for your advice

zddoodah

My home country in Africa
And what country would that be? And, I'll ask again: what facts support the existence of a common law marriage pursuant to the laws of that country?

I thought anyone might have gone through this situation and had a solution. Thanks for your advice
First of all, you're not going to find someone on a legal message board who has "gone through [a] situation" involving someone in one of the four dozen-plus countries in Africa that involved proving the existence of a marriage. Second, as noted, there are over four dozen countries in Africa. Each has its own laws, and I doubt very much that all of them allow common law marriage. You've been asked now multiple times where the supposed common law marriage took place and haven't done anything other than narrow it down to one of 54 countries. That's a bit frustrating for the folks you are asking to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">