• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord retaliation for tenant demanding local COVID-19 emergency orders are followed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexander468

State: MA

Lease termination events:

I moved into a room in an apartment with a shared entry and shared common areas in Cambridge MA on May 1, 2020 on a separate lease for the room in my name only. The lease runs until August 31, 2021. The lease is self-renewing with an automatic 4% rent increase unless either party gives 90 days notice of termination, so the deadline for that termination notice was around the end of May/beginning of June, 2021.

On May 1, 2021, I wrote to the landlord demanding that the 4% rent increase be waived or I would terminate the lease. My reasons were that the apartment had unexpected flaws that had not been corrected and the housing market in Boston and Cambridge had changed, so I could find something better for less, but my preference was to stay at the same rent for another year.

In spite of multiple attempts to get a straight answer from him during May, the landlord never wrote or said anything about either demanding or waiving the 4% rent increase. Instead, his emails contained tangential matters such as a response to issues about the TV in the living room that tenants had a couple years ago before I moved here. The living room never had a TV while I've been here. His emails made little sense. With the 90-day notice for automatic lease-renewal-with-rent-increase looming over my head and no other information, I wrote the landlord on May 31 to terminate our lease.

In June, the landlord advertised my room on Craigslist for Sept 1, 2021 at a lower rent than I've been paying under my current lease before the 4% increase. Apparently, he is willing to sacrifice some money to prevent me from living here. He never explained why. I paid rent on time, didn't cause problems here, wasn't a pain in the ass (with the one possible exception written below), and he has written that he will write a good reference for my next tenancy.

COVID-19 events:

In late July 2020, the city of Cambridge enacted an emergency order in response the COVID-19 crisis requiring that real estate showings in multi-unit buildings with a shared entry take place with at least twenty-four hours notice given to all occupants and advised occupants to vacate during showings to minimize exposure and maximize social distancing. In early November, 2020, the landlord's real estate agent stopped by with a potential tenant to look at a different room in the apartment after giving no notice to anyone. I wrote an email to the agent, my landlord, and the other tenants demanding that everyone follow the city's emergency orders and threatening to contact the state real estate agent licensing board if showings without proper notice continued during the pandemic. The landlord and the agent both wrote apologetic emails, and showings without 24 hours notice didn't continue, but the room remained vacant.

Was I a pain-in-the-ass for the threats in that response? In spite of his half-hearted apologies, I believe that the landlord thinks so, and that is why he didn't reply to me during May when I needed to reach a decision about my continuing tenancy, and that is why he is willing to lose money to see me gone.

On May 27, 2021, Cambridge rescinded those emergency orders effective on June 15, 2021.

A little evidence for landlord retaliation:

In two wildly inappropriate emails during late June, the landlord reassured me that he would always give me 24 hours notice when showing my room as if I had demanded this in November as a personal matter instead of in connection to a local public health order. I emailed the news to him that Cambridge had rescinded its emergency order. A few days ago, the landlord was showing a vacant room to a potential tenant when I left my room and saw them. The landlord asked if the potential tenant could also see my room. I said, "Yes of course," and willingly showed my room with no notice. The landlord seemed surprised that I was willing to do that, and I again informed him, this time in person, that Cambridge had rescinded its emergency order and the only reason I had demanded 24 hours notice in November was to comply with the local government's orders during the emergency.

When I mentioned the local government, he smirked at me and nearly laughed in my face. In multiple emails and in his Craigslist ad, the landlord has espoused strong pro-Trump, anti-government, anti-regulation political sentiments that (in my view) are bizarre and inappropriate for real estate listings and emails to tenants. The lease itself (before I demanded changes) contained several ridiculous and most likely illegal clauses that the landlord proudly states are a result of his previous court battles with "housing activists." Two examples: Tenant grants landlord the right to tape all phone conversations, but landlord does not grant the tenant the same right. If the tenant places any funds presumably due to the landlord in escrow, then the tenant agrees to follow the exact same Massachusetts laws for those funds that landlords must follow for last-month's-rent and security escrow.

Questions:

I was the one who terminated the lease because the landlord failed to give a timely answer to my demand to waive the automatic 4% rent increase. Can the landlord's failure to reply be considered retaliation?

Over six months passed between my threat to complain to the real estate agent licensing board and the landlord's (in my view) retaliatory actions. Is this too long to file a complaint?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was the one who terminated the lease because the landlord failed to give a timely answer to my demand to waive the automatic 4% rent increase. Can the landlord's failure to reply be considered retaliation?
He doesn't have to reply to your "demand" to waive an automatic increase that you agreed to.

Over six months passed between my threat to complain to the real estate agent licensing board and the landlord's (in my view) retaliatory actions. Is this too long to file a complaint?
What retaliation?

alexander468

Thanks for your reply.

I am using the word "demand" in the sense of "If you don't do A, I will do B." This is shown in the sentence earlier in my post: "On May 1, 2021, I wrote to the landlord demanding that the 4% rent increase be waived or I would terminate the lease."

I am using the word "retaliation" in the sense of "Because you did A, I did B."

Because I threatened to complain about his real estate agent due to me caring about human life and enforcing local emergency orders, he retaliated by refusing to let me stay here another year at the same rent, without the 4% rent increase. If I had been a nice little tenant, ignored my city's COVID emergency orders about real estate showings, put my health and life at risk and increased the risk to the health and lives of my co-tenants and community, all so his agent could traipse potential new tenants in and out of the building with no notice back in November, then my view is that the landlord would have agreed to let me stay here another year at the same rent, without the 4% rent increase.

Now he's advertising the room for less rent than I would have paid with no rent increase. He wants tenants like me who might complain to the appropriate authorities out.

quincy

Thanks for your reply.

I am using the word "demand" in the sense of "If you don't do A, I will do B." This is shown in the sentence earlier in my post: "On May 1, 2021, I wrote to the landlord demanding that the 4% rent increase be waived or I would terminate the lease."

I am using the word "retaliation" in the sense of "Because you did A, I did B."

Because I threatened to complain about his real estate agent due to me caring about human life and enforcing local emergency orders, he retaliated by refusing to let me stay here another year at the same rent, without the 4% rent increase. If I had been a nice little tenant, ignored my city's COVID emergency orders about real estate showings, put my health and life at risk and increased the risk to the health and lives of my co-tenants and community, all so his agent could traipse potential new tenants in and out of the building with no notice back in November, then my view is that the landlord would have agreed to let me stay here another year at the same rent, without the 4% rent increase.

Now he's advertising the room for less rent than I would have paid with no rent increase. He wants tenants like me who might complain to the appropriate authorities out.
The problem I see is that you terminated your lease. The landlord had no obligation to you to waive any increase.

alexander468

The problem I see is that you terminated your lease. The landlord had no obligation to you to waive any increase.
Thank you for your reply.

If I had not terminated my lease, my problem would be my ensuing obligation to pay 4% more for a room now worth maybe about 10% less in the post-COVID market. Terminating my lease was the only solution available to me for that problem.

Doesn't landlord retaliation often involves situations with no obligation? If a landlord punishes a tenant for contacting an authority or threatening to contact an authority by raising the rent, then I believe that is illegal in my state. However, landlords are under no obligation to keep the same rent.

Does similar reasoning apply in this situation?

quincy

Thank you for your reply.

If I had not terminated my lease, my problem would be my ensuing obligation to pay 4% more for a room now worth maybe about 10% less in the post-COVID market. Terminating my lease was the only solution available to me for that problem.

Doesn't landlord retaliation often involves situations with no obligation? If a landlord punishes a tenant for contacting an authority or threatening to contact an authority by raising the rent, then I believe that is illegal in my state. However, landlords are under no obligation to keep the same rent.

Does similar reasoning apply in this situation?
I don’t see it applying in your situation, no. The landlord had no obligation to re-lease the rental unit to you at a lower price than was agreed to by you in your “automatic 4% rent increase” clause in your original lease.

alexander468

I don’t see it applying in your situation, no. The landlord had no obligation to re-lease the rental unit to you, at whatever price.
Yes, landlords in a general sense are under no obligation to rent to particular people. However, anti-retaliatory laws state that landlords are under that obligation sometimes and even under an obligation to compensate for moving costs or months of rent to particular people in certain circumstances outside of the general sense when landlords have acted against tenants in retaliation. The purpose of those laws combating landlord retaliation is clear to most people.

Please understand that I really do appreciate anyone who takes any time to read and reply to my posts. However, occasionally now and then, housing rights activists and lawyers read and reply here and take that extra time to cite particular Massachusetts General Laws explaining certain detailed distinctions in the law here. My hope is that someone with that level of knowledge will be able to cite circumstances when particular M.G.L.s would apply and would not apply instead of simply writing, "No."

quincy

I have just finished reading your posting history on this forum. Yikes!

I see no retaliation by the landlord.

You agreed in a signed lease to an automatic 4% increase in rent to stay in the apartment past the current lease’s expiration. That you later regretted agreeing to this 4% increase is not on the landlord. It is on you.

You terminated the lease, freeing you to find a new place to live AND freeing the landlord to rent to another tenant at whatever price rent he chooses.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have just finished reading your posting history on this forum. Yikes!
Which always spurs me to do the same, if just for entertainment value.

The landlord was under no obligation to respond to your "demand" nor was he under any obligation to re-rent the room for the higher rate.

alexander468

You agreed in a signed lease to an automatic 4% increase in rent to stay in the apartment past the current lease’s expiration. That you later regretted agreeing to this 4% increase is not on the landlord. It is on you.

You terminated the lease, freeing you to find a new place to live AND freeing the landlord to rent to another tenant at whatever price rent he chooses.
OK. Your view is that I signed a lease and the lease is on me no matter what. Your view is that even if the landlord had sent an email stating explicitly in writing that he was refusing to rent to me again out of retribution for me demanding that local COVID-19 emergency orders be followed, that would not constitute landlord retaliation.

I understand your view now. Thank you again for stating it.

quincy

OK. Your view is that I signed a lease and the lease is on me no matter what. Your view is that even if the landlord had sent an email stating explicitly in writing that he was refusing to rent to me again out of retribution for me demanding that local COVID-19 emergency orders be followed, that would not constitute landlord retaliation.

I understand your view now. Thank you again for stating it.
Did you actually receive an email like the one you now describe?

Again, you AGREED IN WRITING to a 4% increase. HAD the landlord refused to honor that agreement and not extend your lease (with the 4% increase), THEN you might have had a case for retaliation.

As it stands, however, you have no legal action that I can see, based on what you have said here.

I hope you find a good place to live, at a reasonable rent, with a landlord to your liking.

alexander468

OK. Your view seems to be growing more clear.

If the landlord had sent an email stating explicitly in writing that he was refusing to rent to me again out of retribution for me demanding that local COVID-19 emergency orders be followed, perhaps you might consider that to be landlord retaliation.

However, if the landlord had sent an email stating explicitly in writing that he was refusing to waive the 4% rent increase out of retribution for me demanding that local COVID-19 emergency orders be followed, that would not constitute landlord retaliation because the 4% rent increase was something I had previously agreed to while signing the lease.

Thank you for writing your kind hopes.

quincy

OK. Your view seems to be growing more clear.

If the landlord had sent an email stating explicitly in writing that he was refusing to rent to me again out of retribution for me demanding that local COVID-19 emergency orders be followed, perhaps you might consider that to be landlord retaliation.

However, if the landlord had sent an email stating explicitly in writing that he was refusing to waive the 4% rent increase out of retribution for me demanding that local COVID-19 emergency orders be followed, that would not constitute landlord retaliation because the 4% rent increase was something I had previously agreed to while signing the lease.

Thank you for writing your kind hopes.
Yes. I think you understand correctly what I said.

What is/was legally binding on both you and the landlord were the terms of the lease that you signed. Your landlord can say whatever he wants to say - but he must abide by the terms of the lease you both agreed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">