• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer Hasn't Put Title in Her Name!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BCM092755

What is the name of your state? INDIANA

I sold my 2005 Explorer 10 months ago for $3000 cash. The buyer contacted me 2 weeks ago and asked me to get a copy of the title since she had lost it and had never transferred the title to her name. Now she wants me to mail the copy of the title to her. I have never met her or seen her. Over the phone she sounded a little nutty. She said the car has not been driven because it broke down after she bought it.

I have a copy of the title. Should I mail it to her or insist that we meet in person and we both sign it at the same time? Thanks!

adjusterjack

Insist that you meet in person, fill out all the spaces on the title, especially the parts with her name and address and signature if required. Make a bill of sale, two originals and each of you sign both. Makes copies of both sides of the completed title and keep the copies of the title and the bill of sale forever. Then make sure you notify the DMV of the sale (bet you didn't do that) on the proper form in the proper manner. You might be able to do it online.

Be thankful that she didn't go out and have an accident or run up parking fines with your name still on record.

Next time you sell a vehicle, follow the same procedures.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Insist that you meet in person, fill out all the spaces on the title, especially the parts with her name and address and signature if required. Make a bill of sale, two originals and each of you sign both. Makes copies of both sides of the completed title and keep the copies of the title and the bill of sale forever. Then make sure you notify the DMV of the sale (bet you didn't do that) on the proper form in the proper manner. You might be able to do it online.

Be thankful that she didn't go out and have an accident or run up parking fines with your name still on record.

Next time you sell a vehicle, follow the same procedures.
Or worse: use it as a getaway car in a robbery. That happened to my Dad. Fortunately he had done the paperwork he was supposed to, and kept copies - the other dude hadn't - probably figured that way the car wouldn't be traced to him, torched the car for good measure. In a city-owned park no less. It's good to have your parts of the record straight and readily available when the police come knocking on your door.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">