• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What jurisdiction does a county have to impose property taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Unless I'm wrong, then correct me. They just snuck them in correct?
Nope, you're wrong on that. I'll not dive into the details since it's clear to me that you are not really interested in learning facts but instead pushing your agenda. Your references to things like a "secret dictatorship" are telling. So good luck with that.

juntjoo

Nope, you're wrong on that. I'll not dive into the details since it's clear to me that you are not really interested in learning facts but instead pushing your agenda. Your references to things like a "secret dictatorship" are telling. So good luck with that.
So I'm wrong about secrets? So you just be the high councilor of truth then? I bow down to you then. Please forgive my ignorance and educate me on truth.

juntjoo

Do we really have to go through this nonsense still again?
You don't. You can proudly pay your taxes like a good servant of the devil til the day you die, and wear masks and take shots too if you believe they really care for you and will only put you in prison for your own good.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Please forgive my ignorance and educate me on truth.
If you really want to be educated on the facts, ditch your preconceived notions about things and research the matter with a truly open mind. Look for reliable sources that don't have a political agenda to push. The real facts are not hard to find, if you really want them. But my guess is that you won't be inclined to do that. So again, good luck to you.

juntjoo

If you really want to be educated on the facts, ditch your preconceived notions about things and research the matter with a truly open mind. Look for reliable sources that don't have a political agenda to push. The real facts are not hard to find, if you really want them. But my guess is that you won't be inclined to do that. So again, good luck to you.
Well suppose we had a tribe of like 100 people and a couple of the priests decided to propose everyone pay them so many idk, shells, beads a month to fund their governance over us otherwise be tied up for two weeks for every month they don't pay.

Nobody in their right mind would agree to that. We'd all agree to govern ourselves as responsible adults. So as far as "facts" we never agreed to this nonsense. Do you know for sure? I think I heard congress made up some act way back when for the IRS and similarly something was done with real estate, changing property into something taxable but none of this was put of a proper contract according to the definition of a contract you know with a "meeting of minds". Maybe to understand the facts you should question when exactly and how did you agree to be a slave?

juntjoo

Rinse, lather, repeat...

Go preach to someone who gives a flying fig what you think.
That's not an argument. It's not even entertaining. It's just an expression of anger and ignorance. How else would you deal with being a victim of Stockholm syndrome? You hate the truth

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I think I heard congress made up some act way back when for the IRS and similarly something was done with real estate, changing property into something taxable but none of this was put of a proper contract according to the definition of a contract you know with a "meeting of minds".
The law as contained in our federal and state Constitutions, statutes, etc are not based on contract law. There is no requirement that every person sign off on every law to be bound by it. There is no requirement here for a "meeting of the minds" between every citizen and the government. Such a system would be anarchic and would not function very well. We live in a democracy, where it simply takes a majority to decide what the rules we live by will be. Not everyone has to agree, and indeed you'll never get everyone to agree on most things. President Lincoln famously quoted the poet John Lydgate, saying “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. Lincoln was speaking about government, pointing out that you'll never get everyone to agree on everything. This is not a country where you get to obey only the laws you like. Again, that kind of system wouldn't work very well. This is something you should have learned in basic civics class in high school, though I understand schools today tend not to teach such basics much anymore.

I completely understand if you don't like that particular tax. But the good news is that since we do live in a democracy, you can pursue changing the law more to your liking by convincing your fellow citizens to support the change you want. That's the great thing about our system. However, doing that requires that you actually put in the work to convince others that what you want is a good thing. Don't expect others to do it for you. Just grumbling about it and not doing any work to change it amounts to nothing. So, are you unhappy enough with this tax to go out and do what is necessary to get the support of others to change the law? If you are unwilling to do that, then you become just one of those "sheep" you complained about earlier. People who don't participate in the democratic process by at least voting for the candidates and issues they favor really don't have much cause to then complain about it later.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well suppose we had a tribe of like 100 people and a couple of the priests decided to propose everyone pay them so many idk, shells, beads a month to fund their governance over us otherwise be tied up for two weeks for every month they don't pay.

Nobody in their right mind would agree to that. We'd all agree to govern ourselves as responsible adults. So as far as "facts" we never agreed to this nonsense. Do you know for sure? I think I heard congress made up some act way back when for the IRS and similarly something was done with real estate, changing property into something taxable but none of this was put of a proper contract according to the definition of a contract you know with a "meeting of minds". Maybe to understand the facts you should question when exactly and how did you agree to be a slave?
Unfortunately for you, many of the Europeans who colonized this country used model you deride. Have you visited Plymouth MA? Did you learn about the Puritans?

But, back to your original question: taxes can be levied by a government entity if the laws of the land grant them that ability. Your county is in Florida, which is in the US. So long as the county has been granted the ability to levy property taxes, whether it be by the county, state, or federal government, they are doing nothing wrong.

Since this is a legal site, my LEGAL advice is that if you think the county property taxes are unfair, then learn enough about the law to attempt to rescind the law(s) that authorize this tax.

juntjoo

The law as contained in our federal and state Constitutions, statutes, etc are not based on contract law. There is no requirement that every person sign off on every law to be bound by it. There is no requirement here for a "meeting of the minds" between every citizen and the government. Such a system would be anarchic and would not function very well. We live in a democracy, where it simply takes a majority to decide what the rules we live by will be. Not everyone has to agree, and indeed you'll never get everyone to agree on most things. President Lincoln famously quoted the poet John Lydgate, saying “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. Lincoln was speaking about government, pointing out that you'll never get everyone to agree on everything. This is not a country where you get to obey only the laws you like. Again, that kind of system wouldn't work very well. This is something you should have learned in basic civics class in high school, though I understand schools today tend not to teach such basics much anymore.

I completely understand if you don't like that particular tax. But the good news is that since we do live in a democracy, you can pursue changing the law more to your liking by convincing your fellow citizens to support the change you want. That's the great thing about our system. However, doing that requires that you actually put in the work to convince others that what you want is a good thing. Don't expect others to do it for you. Just grumbling about it and not doing any work to change it amounts to nothing. So, are you unhappy enough with this tax to go out and do what is necessary to get the support of others to change the law? If you are unwilling to do that, then you become just one of those "sheep" you complained about earlier. People who don't participate in the democratic process by at least voting for the candidates and issues they favor really don't have much cause to then complain about it later.
Basic civics class taught you we all decided on this tyranny and that any other model wouldn't work. Hence this is your opinion. It's manufactured status quo. And you can't convince a bunch of lazy sheep addicted to toys technology and insurance. And no, I'm not a sheep. This "process" you speak of is rigged. It's a machine made for cogs to serve it.

juntjoo

Unfortunately for you, many of the Europeans who colonized this country used model you deride. Have you visited Plymouth MA? Did you learn about the Puritans?

But, back to your original question: taxes can be levied by a government entity if the laws of the land grant them that ability. Your county is in Florida, which is in the US. So long as the county has been granted the ability to levy property taxes, whether it be by the county, state, or federal government, they are doing nothing wrong.

Since this is a legal site, my LEGAL advice is that if you think the county property taxes are unfair, then learn enough about the law to attempt to rescind the law(s) that authorize this tax.
It may by "legal" but not lawful or right. It's coercion by people behind curtains. Nothing right about that. What "laws of the land" are you referring to?

Litigator22

What is the name of your state?

Fl

Doesn't it need a contract to impose this kind of debt collection? Does a typical outright cash purchase of a warranty deed involve some contract to pay taxes perpetually or at all?
Good gracious! You forgot to add to your lamenting, "taxation without representation"!

Have you forgotten your charge-for-leak tirade against the local utility for its refusal to accept responsibility for your chewing-gum-didn't-work toilet?

However, if I were unfortunately ensconced in that flaccid, phallic appendage such as you, I wouldn't be fretting over ad valorem taxes. When Vatnajokull and those other Icelandic ice fields discharge their hoard, there won't be any land in what was once Florida to tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">