• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any way to terminate a lease with tenant when they don't want to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Talking to them is what I meant by unofficial notice.
Yes. You can tell the new tenants that you are looking to end their tenancy after the first month so the old tenants can return.

You can also, once again, offer them, with apologies, a “sweetened” release from their lease (e.g., X amount of money in exchange for terminating the lease).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How do I give them a heads up without telling them I will be giving them notice on the 1st then?
We aren't in the situation and don't really have a feel to how the communications have been with your new tenants thus far. Based on what you've posted, and keep in mind that this is just how *I* *might* do it, I might mention that I only expect to be able to rent to them for one month. You don't have to go into the specific steps you intend to take.

Are you sure that nothing in your lease mentions a specific term? It's strange that you use the word "lease" for a month-to-month rental agreement. Not unheard of, just strange.

quincy

We aren't in the situation and don't really have a feel to how the communications have been with your new tenants thus far. Based on what you've posted, and keep in mind that this is just how *I* *might* do it, I might mention that I only expect to be able to rent to them for one month. You don't have to go into the specific steps you intend to take.

Are you sure that nothing in your lease mentions a specific term? It's strange that you use the word "lease" for a month-to-month rental agreement. Not unheard of, just strange.
“Rental agreement” instead of “lease” is how month-to-month rentals are typically referred.

edit: That sentence is awful. Haha.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Honestly, from a layman's perspective? You're a terrible landlord. If you are so okay with not having tenants for a few months, why were you in such a rush to relist/rerent the place?

quincy

Honestly, from a layman's perspective? You're a terrible landlord. If you are so okay with not having tenants for a few months, why were you in such a rush to relist/rerent the place?
Nipin needs to start looking at him/herself as a landlord, and at the tenants as tenants and not as friends. As landlord, Nipin should have enforced the lease terms and collected from the old tenants the remainder of the rent due through the end of their lease (September) or asked the old tenants to find a suitable subletter to take over their lease.

A rapid re-lease of a rental is also not typical or ideal, as rentals should be thoroughly cleaned between tenant occupancies and any damages caused by the previous tenant repaired.

edit: Apologies for any and all grammatical errors. My brain seems to have gone on an early summer vacation.

Last edited:

LdiJ

By talking to them without serving a notice to quit.
I think that is what he was asking...

If it was ok to unofficially tell them that he was going to give them notice on the first to move out in 30 days. There is nothing wrong with doing that. In fact, it might make them change their mind about wanting 6 months of rent from the OP if they know that they are going to have to move out in 30 days anyway.

Last edited:
I just want to say thank you to you all for the help. I’ve discussed this with both parties and the situation has been resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">