• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any way to terminate a lease with tenant when they don't want to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I just want to say thank you to you all for the help. I’ve discussed this with both parties and the situation has been resolved.
That’s good to hear. Thanks for the update, Nipin.

I hope the landlord business goes smoothly for you from now on.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, on my move-in date of July 1, when I show up with my family and a truckload of my possessions and hand you a month's rent you would hand me notice that my tenancy is terminated July 31?

I would sue your ass in a heartbeat.
On what grounds?

quincy

Detrimental reliance.

You've heard of it?
Nope, on detrimental reliance. Not on a month-to-month lease.

The tenant can only rely on a 30 day tenancy and a landlord’s 30-day notice to quit. Occupancy is 30 days plus 30 days from the date of the notice to quit. The notice to quit can be served at any time, absent anything in the lease that says differently.

Last edited:

quincy

It is nice that Nipin discussed the situation with the old and new tenants and that all now has been resolved.

As a landlord, I can understand the attractiveness to some landlords of 30-day rental agreements. As a tenant, however, I would avoid signing such an agreement unless I only needed a temporary stop-gap housing arrangement.

Here is a link to the California Courts guide on the different types of notices:

https://selfhelp.courts.ca.gov/eviction-tenant/notice-types

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">