• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High Interest CC Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mooseman2010

Hello. I have roughly $28k in high interest CC debt over a few different lines of credit. Been make minimum payments on them for years. My credit score is good because I have not missed payments. Have $$ in savings to pay it off. Kicker is my significant other does not know and would notice $28k missing from our accounts. All the CC accounts are in my name only. She doesn’t notice minimal $$ being used to make payments because I use my own separate account to pay them.
Something has to give though because I can’t keep going down this road. Are those debt consolidation programs legit or a scam? Need to start paying these off a little at a time without the high interest. Any suggestions how I can do this under the radar? I know, just come clean with the issue, but trust me, that would be a colossal debacle.

quincy

Hello. I have roughly $28k in high interest CC debt over a few different lines of credit. Been make minimum payments on them for years. My credit score is good because I have not missed payments. Have $$ in savings to pay it off. Kicker is my significant other does not know and would notice $28k missing from our accounts. All the CC accounts are in my name only. She doesn’t notice minimal $$ being used to make payments because I use my own separate account to pay them.
Something has to give though because I can’t keep going down this road. Are those debt consolidation programs legit or a scam? Need to start paying these off a little at a time without the high interest. Any suggestions how I can do this under the radar? I know, just come clean with the issue, but trust me, that would be a colossal debacle.
What is the name of your state?

Debt consolidation programs can be legitimate (thoroughly researching any company is important) but these programs do not do anything that you can’t do yourself, and without the extra expense.

I personally think it a mistake to not be honest with your significant other. Good relationships are built on trust.

adjusterjack

Kicker is my significant other does not know and would notice $28k missing from our accounts.
How much of the money in "our" accounts is your money and how much is your money?

You're not married to her. You have a right to use YOUR money to pay off YOUR debt.

You're probably paying more than 20% interest and you'll never get any of it paid off at that rate. You'll just be making the banks very happy.

Debt consolidation programs, the ones that aren't scams, charge you high fees to do things that you can do for yourself. Doesn't make sense.

If you want some advice, provide a list of your balances and interest rates for each card. There are methods you can use to pay them off faster without using up all your cash.

zddoodah

What state?

Have $$ in savings to pay it off. Kicker is my significant other does not know and would notice $28k missing from our accounts.
So...the money in question is in a joint account? Is your "significant other" a spouse or merely a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Are those debt consolidation programs legit or a scam?
I'm sure some are legit and some are a scam. I also assume the legitimate ones aren't interested in helping people who have the means to pay their debts but simply want to hide their irresponsible behavior from significant others.

Any suggestions how I can do this under the radar?
This question raises no legal issue.

I know, just come clean with the issue, but trust me, that would be a colossal debacle.
Your relationship seems to be built on lies and deception, so....

Bali Hai Again

My advice: pay the debt and do not use a CC in the future unless you pay the entire balance at the end of every billing cycle. If it comes down to a choice between not paying the debt to keep the significant other happy, pay the debt.

commentator

Well, whatever you decide to do, you have a colossal debacle coming. If you hid this at the beginning of the relationship, now, of course, the stuff is going to hit the rotating appliance when they discover that you've been hiding this dirty secret from them. If you do not come clean, and a significant amount of "our money" suddenly goes missing, they're going to notice and then it's going to hit the fan and they are going to be madder than ever because you did not man up and tell them before. The longer this goes on, the worse it will be, and it very possibly even at this point might be a relationship ender. It certainly would be for many people.

But many times, you hear about how these little secrets (big debt, not in school, having on line relationships, lost the job) turn into issues where one partner actually murders the other. Breaking up the whole relationship is not even the worst outcome that could come to pass. And you need to come clean on this NOW before you get a day older, if you want the slightest chance of saving the relationship. It's like lancing a boil, there's no chance it will heal up till you do it.

And what if you were to wait until they find out some other way, say by applying for a new line of credit or something?If you have mutual accounts of any kind, your info is going to bleed over onto the other person's. How could you ever get a mortgage together if your relationship progressed? I would not lecture you on the unwisdom of running a huge credit card balance, understanding money management is not your problem, your unhealthy relationship with money/debt and your concealment of your true situation from the person you are supposedly in a close relationship with is a much more serious issue than bad money management. You've got to make the changes, by yourself before you can BE in a relationship.

Last edited:

commentator

Okay, I am a little bit hard on you, but I am old, and have seen a lot. Tell, deal with the truth, sooner than later. Now what to do about the debt. AFTER the discussion. With or without the relationship still on. Provided you are still able.

One of the things I did in my life was close down businesses. One of the huge problems for people who were hearing that they were very soon to be out of a job is that a lot of them had lots of credit card debt. Stuff they'd been running for years, paying minimum balances on, and now they are losing their source of steady income. It creates panic.

We frequently had credit repayment services offer to come in and talk to people as part of our supportive services. No deal, as they were private businesses, out to make a profit. First of all, they are in cahoots with the credit card industry. They are not doing this as a free service to humanity. Part of that money you arrange to pay back is going to them. For providing a service that you could very well do yourself. That's why they have those tempting looking commercials on tv for how people found them to be saviors. Several issues, though.

Once you contact these people, kiss that good credit rating goodbye for a long time. What they do is contact the credit card companies and cut off the cards, and arrange for you to make repayments on the cards in a set amount payable to them, which they distribute to the card companies. You really could do this yourself, without paying them to do it.

The biggest thing you have to do is STOP USING THE CREDIT CARDS. All of them. Get a debit card, use only it. Do not run these cards, ANY of these cards up any further. Yes, I know it's hard to locomote in our current society without credit cards, but if you use a debt repayment plan, that will simply cut off those cards, and they'll take your money bit by bit, and you'll end up paying a gosh awful amount of interest anyhow, and it is possible to be running up more debt on other cards while you are doing this anyway. I have seen it happen.

What I would suggest you do instead? If you don't have the money to pay them off right now? Okay, since, as you say, you have good credit at present, look for some credit cards that have a good benefit offering of transferring debt to them for a fixed amount of time at no interest. Balance transfers, they are called. Say eighteen months, that's a classic one. Of course, if during that 18 months, you do not pay off the transferred debt, it then becomes a high interest balance on the current credit card. So you get the new card, and DO NOT use it for anything but to make payments on the current debt you've transferred to it. Then, when time is growing short, get another card and do another ba;ance transfer if you do not have it paid off yet. Eventually this will screw up your credit rating too, but really, better than the instant black mark you get if you ever fall in with the card repayment programs. What they are specifically designed to do is keep you from taking bankruptcy, get back some of the credit card's money. And they do not do it for free.

So first of all, I beg of you, TELL YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER! Come clean, go through the explosion, weather this, do not live any longer hiding something from them that could really be a big relationship killer. Then check out the balance transfer cards, or take the money and pay off the credit card debt with their knowledge and cooperation, or not. This will save your credit rating for the things you may want to do in the future, like buying a home or something. Good luck, be honest, hope things work out for you.

Last edited:

commentator

Maybe the girlfriend will say, "Well, honey, I've been afraid to tell you, but I've got $30,000 I wasn't going to tell you about!" But seriously, this has happened to people very close to me!

quincy

Maybe the girlfriend will say, "Well, honey, I've been afraid to tell you, but I've got $30,000 I wasn't going to tell you about!" But seriously, this has happened to people very close to me!
It’s hard to discuss finances. It’s harder to discuss debts. But it’s a necessary discussion. Better that the partner learns now than finds out about it later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">