• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doug2123

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Not sure if this is the right thread, but here it goes.

So my wifes 2018 Buick Encore we took from SC to PA to visit family. On the way back to SC the car started having issues in NC. Check engine light, sluggishness, and all symptoms of the Turbo going bad which was recalled, but we had to wait for it to fail first. So we had the car towed about 170 miles to the dealership near us.

They call my wife the next day, and say valve cover is cracked. She calls me, and i drive over, cause i never saw a cracked valve cover. Here it was a failed pcv valve they pointed to, but its built in the valve cover. They also told us if the turbo was the reason for breaking down they would pay us the $1200 for the towing bill.
They replaced the turbo, and told us it was replaced, cause they had an extra one, and the car was there. Didn't get an invoice so i had one e-mailed to me.

Invoice states:
"story 75585 P0299-00 diagnose concern and replace Turbocharger due to binding turbine. Replace cooling hoses due to leak concern. Replace oil lines due to coking. Reference #N232395330"

Also to make matters worse they said the car was fixed. So it hesitates every now and than, and has a loud ticking noise. That wasn't there when the car was dropped off. I have an appointment with a mechanic i trust. Is this a good case? Only had it towed to them, cause of the turbo recall, and wasn't expecting this outcome.

adjusterjack

I have an appointment with a mechanic i trust. Is this a good case?
How's anybody going to answer that question until AFTER the mechanic checks it out.

Come back for a discussion AFTER the mechanic checks it out and gives you a WRITTEN report.

Does that make sense to you?

PS: It's the right thread.

doug2123

Wasn't sure about the current situation with the towing. I'll post an update after this mechanic diagnoses it.

Thanks. Sorry about posting too early.

adjusterjack

It looked like you were asking about the additional malfunctions potentially to blame the dealer for.

I see that your question could be read the other way and be about the towing charge.

I looked up the recall. Here's a copy:

MC-10250285-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

There is something in there about reasonable expenses. Read it carefully, It looks like you have to fill out a form and submit it to the dealer or the manufacture along with supporting documents (tow receipt, repair document, etc).

Did you actually talk to the dealer about the towing reimbursement? Did he refuse? Agree? Anything? Or are you just assuming he'll give you a hard time about that and the additional malfunctions?

Anytime you ask something on a site like this you should reveal what you have already done and the results. Sometimes we end up giving somebody lengthy advice based on significant research only to be told, "Oh, I already did that, now what do I do?" Gets old very fast. LOL.

doug2123

It looked like you were asking about the additional malfunctions potentially to blame the dealer for.

I see that your question could be read the other way and be about the towing charge.

I looked up the recall. Here's a copy:

MC-10250285-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

There is something in there about reasonable expenses. Read it carefully, It looks like you have to fill out a form and submit it to the dealer or the manufacture along with supporting documents (tow receipt, repair document, etc).

Did you actually talk to the dealer about the towing reimbursement? Did he refuse? Agree? Anything? Or are you just assuming he'll give you a hard time about that and the additional malfunctions?

Anytime you ask something on a site like this you should reveal what you have already done and the results. Sometimes we end up giving somebody lengthy advice based on significant research only to be told, "Oh, I already did that, now what do I do?" Gets old very fast. LOL.
I want to address the other issue as well, cause it happened after the dealership had the car.

We did ask the dealership about the towing, and they said if the Turbo was the issue of us breaking down they would reimburse us, but like i mentioned they replaces the turbo, and said it was because they had an extra one, and the car was in the shop. Invoice told a different story. Just wasn't sure what to do after seeing the invoice stating a different story. I will wait for an update from the mechanic, and post it this week. I also didn't want to wait too long to ask these questions, and post info.

Thanks for the replies.

adjusterjack

You're right. The invoice does tell a different story. The reference number in the invoice is the same reference number in that recall page I linked to. I think the dealer is stuck with what he wrote on the invoice. I would handle that as a separate issue before addressing the malfunctions. Pin the dealer down on the towing ASAP and if he won't pay file the claim with the manufacturer. I don't see any need to wait on the towing issue but that's up to you.

I'll check back here for the mechanic's report.

How many miles is on your car?

doug2123

You're right. The invoice does tell a different story. The reference number in the invoice is the same reference number in that recall page I linked to. I think the dealer is stuck with what he wrote on the invoice. I would handle that as a separate issue before addressing the malfunctions. Pin the dealer down on the towing ASAP and if he won't pay file the claim with the manufacturer. I don't see any need to wait on the towing issue but that's up to you.

I'll check back here for the mechanic's report.

How many miles is on your car?
Thanks for the info. What do you mean pin down the dealership? If that doesn't work do you mean the manufacture of the turbo?

Car has 75,680 miles

Last edited:

adjusterjack

What do you mean pin down the dealership?
Simple. "Here's my towing bill. Your invoice says the turbo was the problem. Are you paying me for the tow? Yes or no? Tell me right now."

Like that.

If that doesn't work do you mean the manufacture of the turbo?
No. GM. Just like it says in the letter.

Reimbursement: If you already paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, and those repairs were completed prior to this mailing, please complete the enclosed reimbursement form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed reimbursement form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by March 31, 2025, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period
There was a reimbursement form attached to the letter you got advising of the recall. If you don't have it, call GM's Reimbursement Department and they will probably be able to email it to you. There are phone numbers in the recall notice.

doug2123

Simple. "Here's my towing bill. Your invoice says the turbo was the problem. Are you paying me for the tow? Yes or no? Tell me right now."

Like that.

No. GM. Just like it says in the letter.

There was a reimbursement form attached to the letter you got advising of the recall. If you don't have it, call GM's Reimbursement Department and they will probably be able to email it to you. There are phone numbers in the recall notice.

Thanks i'll do that.

doug2123

Update from the mechanic. He said the purge valve is bad, and the PCV valve. PCV valve is what the dealership said they replaced. Said he wasn't sure if they were in a hurry, and forgot to replace it or if they replaced it, and forgot to test drive it.

So that dealership repair was $600 something, and now i have to pay this mechanic about $400 to fix the dealerships mistake. How do i get the dealership to reimburse me for all these bills for the car that should've been fixed weeks ago?

doug2123

Going to the dealerahip tomorrow. How does this sound?

"Here's my towing bill. Your invoice states the turbo was the problem. Are you paying my tow? Yes or now? Tell me right now."

Here's the bill my mechanic had to fix the car after you stated it was fixed. Are you paying me for having the car properly fixed? Yes or no? Pcv valve malfunctioned, and purge valve was bad.

If they give a hard time my repsonse is " person who answered the phone at the dealership said system was down so i'd have to call back another day, and he also said sounded like a transmission issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">