• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident, Driving for Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Colorado,

Driving personal vehicle between clients homes, employer compensates for travel between clients homes. Had an at fault accident, police were called to the scene, received a ticket for failure to stop at signal and no insurance, coverage lapsed 20 days prior to accident. No injuries and victims car was abe to drive away.

Called another insurance carrier the same day as the accident and bought coverage for the vehicle involved in accident, a second car, a motorcycle, and a renters policy. Insurance salesperson while on the phone ensured same-day coverage. "What if there was an accident this morning", the salesperson was asked. Without quoting his verbatim he said, "I'm not supposed to tell you but, it would be covered".

Was the salesperson telling the truth? Is there a statute or rule that I can research?
The new carrier is AMFAM.

Thank you.

quincy

Colorado,

Driving personal vehicle between clients homes, employer compensates for travel between clients homes. Had an at fault accident, police were called to the scene, received a ticket for failure to stop at signal and no insurance, coverage lapsed 20 days prior to accident. No injuries and victims car was abe to drive away.

Called another insurance carrier the same day as the accident and bought coverage for the vehicle involved in accident, a second car, a motorcycle, and a renters policy. Insurance salesperson while on the phone ensured same-day coverage. "What if there was an accident this morning", the salesperson was asked. Without quoting his verbatim he said, "I'm not supposed to tell you but, it would be covered".

Was the salesperson telling the truth? Is there a statute or rule that I can research?
The new carrier is AMFAM.

Thank you.
Did the citation for no insurance say that the ticket could be dismissed with proof that you renewed your insurance?

I know in Michigan that tickets for driving without insurance can be dismissed if the uninsured driver gets insurance and provides proof to the department that issued the citation. I don’t know if having a new insurance policy rather than renewing the lapsed policy would excuse a ticket, though.

You posted this in workplace injuries/workers compensation. Are you filing a claim with your employer?

quincy

AMFAM states that they will only cover accidents that occur after the coverage becomes active so it will be important to find out the date and time the new policy became active.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
AMFAM states that they will only cover accidents that occur after the coverage becomes active so it will be important to find out the date and time the new policy became active.
The OP obtained coverage after the accident (but on the same day).

quincy

The OP obtained coverage after the accident (but on the same day).
Right. “Fed Up” will want to read his policy to see what the effective time and date of his insurance is. If the person he spoke to is correct, it should show that the insurance covered the time of the accident even though he did not get the policy until later that day.

zddoodah

Was the salesperson telling the truth?
He may believe it to be true. However, once the carrier discovers the circumstances you described, you can be sure the claim will be denied. Hopefully for you, your employer has appropriate coverage. Even if the policy language technically provided coverage, your failure to disclose the prior accident would result in the denial of coverage.

Is there a statute or rule that I can research?
It's a matter of contract, not statute. However, you could google things like "fraud in the inducement" and "willful failure to disclose material facts to an insurer."

Last edited:

LdiJ

The OP may also be covered by the employer's insurance, as he was on the job.
It would be a very bad idea to get his employer involved. Being uninsured while driving on compensated employer business is a really good way to get yourself fired.

quincy

It would be a very bad idea to get his employer involved. Being uninsured while driving on compensated employer business is a really good way to get yourself fired.
Not being upfront with the employer could also get him fired - so it’s a bit of a crapshoot. The employer should already know of the accident since it interrupted Fed Up’s work day.

LdiJ

Not being upfront with the employer could also get him fired - so it’s a bit of a crapshoot. The employer should already know of the accident since it interrupted Fed Up’s work day.
The employer might know about the accident but that doesn't mean that the employer knows that the OP was also uninsured.

LdiJ

I wouldn’t bet on the employer not knowing or not finding out.
The employer might very well find out. I just don't think that the OP should advertise it or actively try to get the employer's insurance to cover him...unless of course he doesn't care about keeping the job at all.

quincy

The employer might very well find out. I just don't think that the OP should advertise it or actively try to get the employer's insurance to cover him...unless of course he doesn't care about keeping the job at all.
Like I said. It’s a crapshoot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">