• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant may have abandoned my rental!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Russ07

I have a rental property in Snellville, GA. My long time tenant hasn't paid this month's rent, and seems to have abandoned the property (although I can't say for sure). His lease expires this month, but he hasn't given me 30-day move out notice or renewed his lease. I gave him 60-day renewal notice. What is my legal rights here? Can I file for a dispossessory?

adjusterjack

What is my legal rights here?
Your legal rights are addressed by:

1 - Your written lease contract and

2 - The Georgia landlord-tenant statutes.

Georgia Code Title 44, Chapter 7 (2023) - LANDLORD AND TENANT :: 2023 Georgia Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Dispossession is addressed by Article 3 in the above link.

Your local court website may have forms and instructions. If not, try the court websites of larger counties like DeKalb or Fulton which may have forms that you can adapt for your court.

If all else fails, hire an eviction attorney.

What does the lease say? Does it auto renew or does the lessee have to sign something to renew? If the lease does not auto renew, and the lease expires, the tenant may be trying to live out their last month on the security deposit.

Why do you think they abandoned the property? Is it empty of the lessee possessions? Or have you simply not heard from the tenant?

Russ07

The lease says if neither party gives a 30-day lease termination notice, the lease will continue on a month-to-month basis. It also says should resident fail to give proper notice and does in fact vacate the properly, no deposit will be refundable and they are subject to all chargers plus any additional charges that are required under this agreement. Given this, should I wait out until the end of the month or file for dispossessory if I am not able to get hold of the tenant (he has ignored me so far)?

This is a 4-plex property, and my other tenants voiced concerns that he seems to be gone for at least 2 weeks including his 2 cars removed from the parking lot. I haven't checked the interior yet as I just learned about this yesterday. I will give him a notice to inspect the interior. If there possessions, what should be my next steps?

adjusterjack

It also says should resident fail to give proper notice and does in fact vacate the properly, no deposit will be refundable
You'd better have a lawyer review your lease because that provision is likely to be illegal and void whatever rights you have under the contract.

Security deposits are refundable BY STATUTE unless you are legally entitled to keep it to indemnify for monetary damages you actually incur. That means you might be entitled to apply it to a month's unpaid rent after you regain possession of the apartment.

zddoodah

The non-payment of rent should give you the right to begin the eviction process, and I suggest you retain the services of a local landlord-tenant attorney. That said...

Did you phone your tenant? If so, what happened? If not, why not?

Did you visit the premises and knock on the door/ring the bell? If so, what happened? If not, why not?

Georgia doesn't seem to have a statutory right for the landlord to enter leased premises, and a quick and cursory google search suggests that this is generally left to agreement in the lease. Does your lease have a provision that allows you to enter the premises?

Russ07

Hi zddoodah, thanks for your response. I called and sent multiple texts over the last few days. Tenant is always very responsive, but not this time! I even offered to work it out outside the court between us, but nothing back from him. I did visit the premise. No cars on the lot, and my other tenants haven't seen him for two weeks or so. Yesterday I found a note on the door from the gas company that the gas service has been disconnected, so it seems he disconnected the utilities.

My lease does allow me to enter the premises. I texted him that I will be inspecting the unit within the next few days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">