• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Masks in banks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Getting back on track to the original question:

If a person walks into a bank wearing a mask, can he be lawfully questioned or detained by a guard or police officer, or must the officer wait until the person pulls a gun or otherwise misbehaves?
Banks are fond of using "discretion". Even if you've had an account for years, never done anything sketchy (like bouncing checks, overdrafts), they have the discretion to make up rules on the spot if you are depositing money. (I've only had problems depositing money. Withdrawing seems more straightforward.)

If someone finds you suspicious, they will find ways to protect themselves, whether or not you're up to no good.

Most banks have clearly posted that you are not allowed to enter wearing a mask or other potentially disguising items, like sunglasses or hats. This allows them to request someone wearing a mask to remove the mask or leave. However, they don't have to. When I have gone to the corner bank wearing sunglasses and KF94 mask, the senior employees just comment on how much I look like my mom, so it's fair to say that I'm not disguising myself.

So yes, there is no problem with them requesting that you comply with their request to remove a mask or leave.

However, they do not have carte blanche to assault you etc., just because you're wearing a mask. They're not allowed to tackle you while you're quietly standing in line with no warning, and drag you to a back office and cuff you to office furniture.

More likely, if you were asked to leave the premises and didn't, they would contact local police and have you physically removed and charged with trespassing.

Again, what state in the US? Why are you asking? Have you had a misadventure at the bank?

adjusterjack

Don't forget the idiots who think it will save them from COVID.
And don't forget the idiots who believe that masks and vaccines were part of a government plot to see how much of the population would obey a government mandate. As a prelude to more draconian totalitarian mandates. I have a family member and a couple of acquaintances that believe that. I just roll my eyes and move on.

PayrollHRGuy

And don't forget the idiots who believe that masks and vaccines were part of a government plot to see how much of the population would obey a government mandate. As a prelude to more draconian totalitarian mandates. I have a family member and a couple of acquaintances that believe that. I just roll my eyes and move on.
Nope it was just more of the Security Theater as seen at the TSA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">