• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Repossession Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCW20

California, but the car was purchased in Virginia and the new Lienholder is in Texas.

I currently have a car loan, and the loan was transferred to another lender - I was unaware of this change for roughly 6 months. When I was made aware of the change, I contacted the new lender and had a verbal agreement to get back on track. I was under the impression I was going to receive paperwork for the new agreement and never did. As I result, I continued to make the scheduled payments unaware I needed to complete and return some written agreement and my car was repossessed. I travel a lot for work, and the company that holds the loan is based in Texas, originally the car was bought in Virginia. The Car was repossessed in California where I work. They want the entire past due amount within 2 weeks, or they are suggesting they will sell the car. I have tried to come to another agreement unsuccessfully. I am reaching out to see what the legality is of them selling my car within 2 weeks of it being repossessed. I am unsure of which state laws this situation will be guided by, the state the vehicle was purchased, the state it was repossessed in or the state the lienholder resides in.

Any insight or guidance would be appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They simply stopped collecting payments, as the the auto payments stopped after December.
Then you should have those amounts sitting in an account somewhere, right?
Or, and I suspect this is more likely, did you spend the money?

quincy

California, but the car was purchased in Virginia and the new Lienholder is in Texas.

I currently have a car loan, and the loan was transferred to another lender - I was unaware of this change for roughly 6 months. When I was made aware of the change, I contacted the new lender and had a verbal agreement to get back on track. I was under the impression I was going to receive paperwork for the new agreement and never did. As I result, I continued to make the scheduled payments unaware I needed to complete and return some written agreement and my car was repossessed. I travel a lot for work, and the company that holds the loan is based in Texas, originally the car was bought in Virginia. The Car was repossessed in California where I work. They want the entire past due amount within 2 weeks, or they are suggesting they will sell the car. I have tried to come to another agreement unsuccessfully. I am reaching out to see what the legality is of them selling my car within 2 weeks of it being repossessed. I am unsure of which state laws this situation will be guided by, the state the vehicle was purchased, the state it was repossessed in or the state the lienholder resides in.

Any insight or guidance would be appreciated.
Was this other “lender” a debt collection agency?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">