• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roofing Company Trying To Demand $ and Threaten Over Unfinished Project

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Polliesleeps

Colorado - Not only did they not finish, they did a shoddy job so far. They sent a threat saying that if I don't pay it's a breach of contract - which I really doubt - and that they're going to sue me. I don't have access to to the contract so I'm wondering if that's why they feel so bold doing this ridiculous bullshit. I wrote a response and was wondering if someone knowledgeable could check and see if its ok, I don't have a lot of money for a lawyer right now, thanks guys. Let me know if you want to see the initial letter they sent me:

Hello __________, This email represents an official response to the demand letter I, __________, received on Thursday, October 3rd, 2024. At this time, I refuse to comply with the demand to pay __________ (CE) for the following reasons:

CE did not perform all of the agreed-upon services. The drip edge on the back of the property was incorrectly installed and still needs to be replaced. The gutter/downspout was never primed or painted. Damage resulting from the front window replacement has not yet been repaired. See the attached pictures.

I did not receive an invoice from CE on October 26th, 2023. The windows were not even installed until Friday, April 26th, 2024. Your letter surprises me as I have been working with a CE employee named Dan the entire time, who never asked for the demanded payment and is supposed to address the unperformed services. Dan can be reached at __________.

If you are accusing me of breaching a contract, please provide a copy of the contract and explain the accusations in detail. I respectfully request that you cease all activities related to your original demand except for communication that provides my requested documentation. I intend to resolve this matter without the need for litigation. Dan can call me anytime, and I plan to pay CE after all the agreed-upon services are performed.

Sincerely -

quincy

Colorado - Not only did they not finish, they did a shoddy job so far. They sent a threat saying that if I don't pay it's a breach of contract - which I really doubt - and that they're going to sue me. I don't have access to to the contract so I'm wondering if that's why they feel so bold doing this ridiculous bullshit. I wrote a response and was wondering if someone knowledgeable could check and see if its ok, I don't have a lot of money for a lawyer right now, thanks guys. Let me know if you want to see the initial letter they sent me:

Hello __________, This email represents an official response to the demand letter I, __________, received on Thursday, October 3rd, 2024. At this time, I refuse to comply with the demand to pay __________ (CE) for the following reasons:

CE did not perform all of the agreed-upon services. The drip edge on the back of the property was incorrectly installed and still needs to be replaced. The gutter/downspout was never primed or painted. Damage resulting from the front window replacement has not yet been repaired. See the attached pictures.

I did not receive an invoice from CE on October 26th, 2023. The windows were not even installed until Friday, April 26th, 2024. Your letter surprises me as I have been working with a CE employee named Dan the entire time, who never asked for the demanded payment and is supposed to address the unperformed services. Dan can be reached at __________.

If you are accusing me of breaching a contract, please provide a copy of the contract and explain the accusations in detail. I respectfully request that you cease all activities related to your original demand except for communication that provides my requested documentation. I intend to resolve this matter without the need for litigation. Dan can call me anytime, and I plan to pay CE after all the agreed-upon services are performed.

Sincerely -
You really need a copy of the contract.

Have you paid anything to the roofing company?

Polliesleeps

Yeah I paid them half upfront - $9,203.87. Original agreement was to pay half upfront, the rest when finished. They very visibly didn't finish the project and are demanding the full payment or legal action as if they did. Sadly, I don't have the contract, and that's on me.

LdiJ

Yeah I paid them half upfront - $9,203.87. Original agreement was to pay half upfront, the rest when finished. They very visibly didn't finish the project and are demanding the full payment or legal action as if they did. Sadly, I don't have the contract, and that's on me.
Of course they are threatening to sue you. The intent is to scare you into paying them even though they haven't completed the job. Keep responding to them with a list of things that still need to be completed before they will get paid. Keep copies of every response you make.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">