• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

walmart..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

camieee02

i had went to walmart to cash a check for over $2,000. the employee that cashed my check overlooked the full total amount of my check and claimed she only ran it $25 in the system and only gave me $25.00 out of the full amount i was supposed to receive. I was told by the store manager that they could not give me the full amount of money I was owed and would not void the transaction of the check or give me details. They are saying unfortunately there is nothing they can do about my money and that the check now belongs to them. I am needing Legal advice or some type of advice to figure out how to receive the full amount of my check that I am owed.

quincy

i had went to walmart to cash a check for over $2,000. the employee that cashed my check overlooked the full total amount of my check and claimed she only ran it $25 in the system and only gave me $25.00 out of the full amount i was supposed to receive. I was told by the store manager that they could not give me the full amount of money I was owed and would not void the transaction of the check or give me details. They are saying unfortunately there is nothing they can do about my money and that the check now belongs to them. I am needing Legal advice or some type of advice to figure out how to receive the full amount of my check that I am owed.
What is the name of your state?

The OP should have insisted that the transaction be voided and the check returned. If there was some concern that the check was not at the value you claim, they should have closed the register and counted the drawer (which includes checks)... And if they refused, OP should have called the police.

camieee02

The OP should have insisted that the transaction be voided and the check returned. If there was some concern that the check was not at the value you claim, they should have closed the register and counted the drawer (which includes checks)... And if they refused, OP should have called the police.
they would not void the transaction when i asked, and they also would not give me a copy of the check. I also had the police come to the store and they would not open the drawer to give a copy of the check, nor count the money in the register. The police said they could not make them do anything because this was a Civil matter and not criminal.

camieee02

Do you have a copy of the check?

If not, get one from the payor when it runs through their bank.
Unfortunately, I do not have a Copy of it. Walmart refused to give me a copy and would not even let me capture a picture of the check. They claimed they did not have a key to register and could not get the check back out of there.

quincy

Thank you for providing your state name, camieee02.

I am sort of surprised that Walmart would even accept a check of that size for cashing. Do you have a relationship with Walmart (e.g., are you or were you an employee of Walmart)? Was this a personal check on your checking account made out to “cash” or was this a check made out to you by someone else or some entity?

What is your best guess as to why this happened?

camieee02

Your welcome. I do not have any relationship with Walmart, and have never worked for them. The check was made out to me by a business. What happened was the Employee admitted that she only saw a number 2 and 5 on my check and didn't see the other numbers written on their, and only entered the check amount for $25.00. I asked as well as the police officers I called over to the store to void the check transaction and they would not. They told me that the check now belonged to them, and that there was nothing they could do about it. All they could offer was for me to call the 1800-Walmart number. The police officer asked for them to write up a incident report to give to the bank and business that issued the check so they could verify everything, and their mistake but they would not do that either.

quincy

Your welcome. I do not have any relationship with Walmart, and have never worked for them. The check was made out to me by a business. What happened was the Employee admitted that she only saw a number 2 and 5 on my check and didn't see the other numbers written on their, and only entered the check amount for $25.00. I asked as well as the police officers I called over to the store to void the check transaction and they would not. They told me that the check now belonged to them, and that there was nothing they could do about it. All they could offer was for me to call the 1800-Walmart number. The police officer asked for them to write up a incident report to give to the bank and business that issued the check so they could verify everything, and their mistake but they would not do that either.
How did the employee see a 2 and a 5 when the check was for $2000?

Have you contacted the business that issued the check so they can stop payment on it?

I find your situation very puzzling.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What happened when you called the number?

zddoodah

Any particular reason you went to a retail store to do this, as opposed to a bank?

At the end of the day, your recourse is a small claims suit against the retailer.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Your welcome. I do not have any relationship with Walmart, and have never worked for them. The check was made out to me by a business. What happened was the Employee admitted that she only saw a number 2 and 5 on my check and didn't see the other numbers written on their, and only entered the check amount for $25.00.
Contact the business that issued you the check.

There are 2 possibilities that I can think of:

Case 1: The check is actually treated as a $25 check, and the business's account has only been debited $25. Then, as annoying as it is, it's an honest mistake, and can be resolved by having the business issue you a check for the difference.

Case 2: The check has been treated as a $2,000 check by the bank; the business's account has been debited $2,000. Then someone somewhere has gotten that money. Make a police report. Make a report to Walmart management - starting with one level higher than whoever you have previously spoken to.

My condolences. My former spouse was trying to close a $25K account at the bank, and the idiot handling the transaction tried to give him a $25 cashiers check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">