• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA towed my car - AND I LIVE HERE!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CG1345

Hi. This is the OP! I'm chuckling because I ran into this post. I moved into yet ANOTHER condo a few weeks ago and the HOA president had my car towed so we're going through this rodeo all over again. This time it's a different state and different set of circumstances.

I resolved the first case by settling for $5,000 at mediation. They paid me within a week and left me alone for the duration of the lease. The landlord returned the deposit in full the day of move out too.

This time around the HOA towed my personal vehicle out of my reserved spot for not displaying a parking pass. I just moved in 3 weeks ago and the property management company told me to park in that spot. Apparently the owner of the unit and the HOA president have had an ongoing dispute which I got caught up in. I could make it the owners problem but everyone in the complex has been so nice to us since we moved in and everyone is tired of this guys BS.

Funny thing is, my sister is now a property manager and she refuses to live in an HOA. She's just as upset about this situation but the HOA has employed a lot of sneaky tactics like refusing to make their bylaws public and giving me a copy. We'll see how this situation plays itself out but WTF is wrong with people? If there is a problem, just knock on my door!

adjusterjack

efusing to make their bylaws public and giving me a copy
You should be getting those from the owner of the unit you are renting.

but WTF is wrong with people?
Ever hear the phrase "HOA Nazis"?

Well, now you know.

This time around the HOA towed my personal vehicle out of my reserved spot for not displaying a parking pass. I just moved in 3 weeks ago and the property management company told me to park in that spot.
You should have known better.

This time you didn't have a sticker (right?) and you relied on somebody who will have convenient memory loss. I'm not sure that you will do as well in court this time as last time. But just serving them with a lawsuit might bring them to the table.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">