• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severe Injuries from Roof Fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Delta77

Here's the Deal.
A huge limb from a tree fell on my mother n laws house during a storm. She nor I didn't know that the insurance company would pay to have the limb removed. We knew they would pay for damages to the roof but not to remove the limb itself.
She called her insurance company and spoke with a receptionist and was told her agent was out of town, so she told the receptionist what she was calling for and the receptionist told her she would give the agent her information and he would call her back.
A few days go by, and he hasn't returned her call. So, on Aug. 20th after she told me she never heard from him, i took pictures of the limb and told him i was going to get on her roof to see if there was any damage to it and try to remove the limb. what did i need to do in case of any damage and he informed me to just take pictures and let him know.
My mother n law called him back a few days later to check let him know about the limb and he told her that he had already talked to me about it. He never told her nor me that it was covered under her homeowners policy or offered to send an adjuster to look.
So, on later afternoon Sept. 1st i get on the house to see how much of the limb i could remove and see if there was any damage. i was trying to beat a forecasted rain we had on the way in the next few days and didn't want her to suffer any more damage to her house. While getting the limb off i lost my footing and fell from her very steep roof, landed on her ac unit and then fell onto the ground. I was completely knocked out for around 5 minutes with foam coming out of my mouth. When i came too i was surrounded by first responders and shortly thereafter an ambulance arrived. They were all just telling me not to move.
I was taking to the local er, where they discovered i had broken all 12 ribs on the right side of my body. My 12 ribs had over 20 fractures in them, i crushed my right collar bone, broke my them and fractured my wrist.
They airlifted me to the nearest trauma center. I was admitted to the hospital through their ER, I was in the hospital for 10 days and underwent surgery having some of ribs steel plated, they removed my collar bone and replace with steel plates, i had to have a chest tube inserted for several days to drain fluid from my lung.
Once i was released and home i asked about the limb and who got it off the house, i was informed that the insurance, the same guy i talked too had paid to have the limb removed and damage to her house fixed. So, at that point i was wonder why he never told her or me that insurance would cover the limb removeable since it was due to a storm. He never offered or mentioned sending an adjuster. I would think if it was a covered claim, he would have told me by no means do not get on her house and risk injury, that this is a covered claim and to let him send an adjuster. In that case i would have never gotten on her house and all of this would have never happened.
We talked to him about it, and he said her liability would not pay any of my medical or anything. So i'm curious if i have a case against the agent or insurance company for him neglecting to tell us the limb removeable was covered under insurance and failing to do his job properly. Had i successfully removed the limb that was just money he would have saved.

Just curious to get opinions on if this would be worth me pursing or not. My hospital bills including air flight are up to $280,000 dollars plus i missed 3 weeks of work my wife missed two weeks and I'm still recovering and in a lot of pain. Also, may need surgery on my wrist to have it plated a pinned.

Would appreciate any opinions.

quincy

Here's the Deal.
A huge limb from a tree fell on my mother n laws house during a storm. She nor I didn't know that the insurance company would pay to have the limb removed. We knew they would pay for damages to the roof but not to remove the limb itself.
She called her insurance company and spoke with a receptionist and was told her agent was out of town, so she told the receptionist what she was calling for and the receptionist told her she would give the agent her information and he would call her back.
A few days go by, and he hasn't returned her call. So, on Aug. 20th after she told me she never heard from him, i took pictures of the limb and told him i was going to get on her roof to see if there was any damage to it and try to remove the limb. what did i need to do in case of any damage and he informed me to just take pictures and let him know.
My mother n law called him back a few days later to check let him know about the limb and he told her that he had already talked to me about it. He never told her nor me that it was covered under her homeowners policy or offered to send an adjuster to look.
So, on later afternoon Sept. 1st i get on the house to see how much of the limb i could remove and see if there was any damage. i was trying to beat a forecasted rain we had on the way in the next few days and didn't want her to suffer any more damage to her house. While getting the limb off i lost my footing and fell from her very steep roof, landed on her ac unit and then fell onto the ground. I was completely knocked out for around 5 minutes with foam coming out of my mouth. When i came too i was surrounded by first responders and shortly thereafter an ambulance arrived. They were all just telling me not to move.
I was taking to the local er, where they discovered i had broken all 12 ribs on the right side of my body. My 12 ribs had over 20 fractures in them, i crushed my right collar bone, broke my them and fractured my wrist.
They airlifted me to the nearest trauma center. I was admitted to the hospital through their ER, I was in the hospital for 10 days and underwent surgery having some of ribs steel plated, they removed my collar bone and replace with steel plates, i had to have a chest tube inserted for several days to drain fluid from my lung.
Once i was released and home i asked about the limb and who got it off the house, i was informed that the insurance, the same guy i talked too had paid to have the limb removed and damage to her house fixed. So, at that point i was wonder why he never told her or me that insurance would cover the limb removeable since it was due to a storm. He never offered or mentioned sending an adjuster. I would think if it was a covered claim, he would have told me by no means do not get on her house and risk injury, that this is a covered claim and to let him send an adjuster. In that case i would have never gotten on her house and all of this would have never happened.
We talked to him about it, and he said her liability would not pay any of my medical or anything. So i'm curious if i have a case against the agent or insurance company for him neglecting to tell us the limb removeable was covered under insurance and failing to do his job properly. Had i successfully removed the limb that was just money he would have saved.

Just curious to get opinions on if this would be worth me pursing or not. My hospital bills including air flight are up to $280,000 dollars plus i missed 3 weeks of work my wife missed two weeks and I'm still recovering and in a lot of pain. Also, may need surgery on my wrist to have it plated a pinned.

Would appreciate any opinions.
What is the name of your state?

You can file a claim with your mother’s insurer, despite what the insurance company told you. You should also contact your own insurance company to report your accident.

I hope you have good medical insurance.

You really should have waited for your mom’s insurance company to handle the tree limb removal or at least hired a licensed and insured tree removal service to do the work for you.

I hope you have a swift and full recovery.

Delta77

What is the name of your state?

You can file a claim with your mother’s insurer, despite what the insurance company told you. You should also contact your own insurance company to report your accident.

I hope you have good medical insurance.

You really should have waited for your mom’s insurance company to handle the tree limb removal or at least hired a licensed and insured tree removal service to do the work for you.

I hope you have a swift and full recovery.
State is Mississippi.
Crazy thing is my mother n law and myself use the same agent.
I understand we should have reached out to an insured tree removable company to do the work.
I would have just thought he would have had a duty to tell Me or her since he talked to both of us to let him send an adjuster out that it was covered by insurance. I assumed by him not offering and just wanting picture of any roof damage that the limb removable was not covered.
I do have pretty good medical insurance so by the time i pay my deductible and all the time off work, i will still be out of pocket around 14,000

quincy

State is Mississippi.
Crazy thing is my mother n law and myself use the same agent.
I understand we should have reached out to an insured tree removable company to do the work.
I would have just thought he would have had a duty to tell Me or her since he talked to both of us to let him send an adjuster out that it was covered by insurance. I assumed by him not offering and just wanting picture of any roof damage that the limb removable was not covered.
I do have pretty good medical insurance so by the time i pay my deductible and all the time off work, i will still be out of pocket around 14,000
It is pretty much up to the insured to know what is covered by their insurance, or to specifically ask their insurer if something is covered or not.

That said, I am sort of surprised that an adjuster was not sent out sooner. I could better understand such a delay in a state that was just hit by a catastrophic hurricane.

I am sorry your medical insurance won’t cover all of your expenses but, given the extent of your injuries, even the $14,000 can probably be considered a small price to pay for the medical attention you received. It sounds as if you were lucky to survive the fall.

Delta77

It is pretty much up to the insured to know what is covered by their insurance, or to specifically ask their insurer if something is covered or not.

That said, I am sort of surprised that an adjuster was not sent out sooner. I could better understand such a delay in a state that was just hit by a catastrophic hurricane.

I am sorry your medical insurance won’t cover all of your expenses but, given the extent of your injuries, even the $14,000 can probably be considered a small price to pay for the medical attention you received. It sounds as if you were lucky to survive the fall.
Appreciate it, yea i was blessed to survive the fall and not have punctured internal organs. The fall was around 18'.
Thanks for your opinion on the matter. I'm not a sue happy person, i just wished at any time talking to her or myself he would
of let us know that he needed to send an adjuster out. But life moves on thankfully!

quincy

Appreciate it, yea i was blessed to survive the fall and not have punctured internal organs. The fall was around 18'.
Thanks for your opinion on the matter. I'm not a sue happy person, i just wished at any time talking to her or myself he would
of let us know that he needed to send an adjuster out. But life moves on thankfully!
You could always discuss everything with an attorney in your area to better ensure there is no legal avenue worth exploring. I am not seeing one, however.

Again, I wish you a full recovery.

adjusterjack

Just curious to get opinions on if this would be worth me pursing or not.
No. It's not. Sorry about your injury. But had you or your mother look at the insurance papers you would have seen how to report a claim directly to the claims department and none of this would have happened.

For anybody reading this, pay more attention to your insurance. If something happens, don't call your agent, call the claims department.

quincy

You can work with the hospital billing department to make payment arrangements that fit your budget and/or possibly get a reduction in the total amount being billed. Hospitals and doctors turn over medical debts to debt collection agencies pretty rapidly so you should not delay too long in contacting them.

Delta77

No. It's not. Sorry about your injury. But had you or your mother look at the insurance papers you would have seen how to report a claim directly to the claims department and none of this would have happened.

For anybody reading this, pay more attention to your insurance. If something happens, don't call your agent, call the claims department.
I completely get that, but any claim I've had in the last 30 years, i have reported directly to my agent. He ask that we do it this way. If its a small claim he writes the check write out of his office, i think to minimize the loss for his location over the year. I know the less they have or pay out the more they make. I've got a brother n law in the insurance business for over 35 years in another state and he kind of explained how it works to me.

Delta77

You can work with the hospital billing department to make payment arrangements that fit your budget and/or possibly get a reduction in the total amount being billed. Hospitals and doctors turn over medical debts to debt collection agencies pretty rapidly so you should not delay too long in contacting them.
I'm paying my bills as i get them.

Delta77

This is true for all insurance, not just homeowners.

Just an FYI for those among us who have limited experience in the insurance industry.
I can completely understand that now, had she of taken that route it would have prevented this.
I will from now on contact the Insurance company itself not my agent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">