• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a lien appropriate here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anavi8r

This is a followup question to my recent posting:

We were going to buy a 4-bedroom house but it turned out the house only had 3 bedrooms. We cancelled the contract and are suing the seller to get our deposit back.

Here is the question: the seller has relisted the house and is doing well, while we can't buy another house because we need that deposit money to do it. I suggested putting a lien on the house to motivate the seller to resolve the dispute quickly, but my lawyer thinks it is not a good idea. It will cost me more in attorney fees, make me subject to what he calls "title slander", and this action would be hard to justify since we no longer want to buy the house and our deposit money is safe in the escrow anyway.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks.

quincy

We were going to buy a 4-bedroom house but it turned out the house only had 3 bedrooms. We cancelled the contract and are suing the seller to get our deposit back.

Here is the question: the seller has relisted the house and is doing well, while we can't buy another house because we need that deposit money to do it. I suggested putting a lien on the house to motivate the seller to resolve the dispute quickly, but my lawyer thinks it is not a good idea. It will cost me more in attorney fees, make me subject to what he calls "title slander", and this action would be hard to justify since we no longer want to buy the house and our deposit money is safe in the escrow anyway.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks.
You probably should listen to your attorney.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

Any thoughts please?

Thanks.

As you don't yet have a judgment against the seller is your basis for the lien? You may not file a lien on someone else's property over a simple money dispute until you get a judgement from the court. Doing so anyway does indeed open you to a claim of title slander, which could be costly to you if it affects the seller's ability to sell the property or adversely affects the seller's credit (credit bureaus routinely scoop up local court and property records and add them to their database). So I think you want to follow the advice of your lawyer here. Paying for legal advice you don't intend to follow anyway is a waste of money. I get that you are eager to get the deposit back so you may proceed with your house search and purchase but jumping the gun and filing a lien before you have a court judgment in your favor may well back fire on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">