• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My law firm is considering hiring remote legal assistants. Is that a good idea?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Johnnylawyer123

I'm currently working on a law firm that's considering hiring remote legal assistants, they think it might help aliviate some bills, but I have my reservations. People around the office seem to have mix feelings about it. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea or not? Is it worth the hassle?

quincy

I'm currently working on a law firm that's considering hiring remote legal assistants, they think it might help aliviate some bills, but I have my reservations. People around the office seem to have mix feelings about it. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea or not? Is it worth the hassle?
What is the name of your state?

Yours is not really a legal question but rather a business decision. How “remote” the remote legal assistants are to your firm can make a difference in how helpful these remote workers can be.

Johnnylawyer123

What is the name of your state?

Yours is not really a legal question but rather a business decision. How “remote” the remote legal assistants are to your firm can make a difference in how helpful these remote workers can be.
Atlanta, Georgia. Tho I'm not native, I'm actually from Latin America but moved in like a decade ago and just recently started working for the firm. I know the questions isn't exactly on the right lane but I couldn't tell which forum was more appropriate for my question.

Just Blue

Atlanta, Georgia. Tho I'm not native, I'm actually from Latin America but moved in like a decade ago and just recently started working for the firm. I know the questions isn't exactly on the right lane but I couldn't tell which forum was more appropriate for my question.
This is a Legal site for legal questions...so this site is not for discussing or opining on a random legal firms hiring practices.

quincy

A website that answers business questions would be more helpful to you than a website that answers legal questions.

Your law firm will want to consider the licensing requirements for all of your remote workers - if you decide to go the remote-worker route - and not just think about potential cost savings. Any legal work that is assigned to remote workers will need to be assigned to workers licensed to practice law in your area.

Good luck.

zddoodah

Lots of lawyers and their staff worked remotely during COVID, and many continue to do so. The value of any remote employee depends on his/her willingness to work, as opposed to goof around while on the clock.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Whether it's a good idea depends on the firm — the size of the firm, what kind of law it handles, what work these remote workers will do, the degree to which the firm is able to exercise proper supervision of their work, the overall cost of this arrangement, and what effect it may have on the morale of those that are coming into the office. Every firm will have a different mix of those factors, so for some it might be great and others it may turn out to be nothing but trouble.

quincy

Whether it's a good idea depends on the firm — the size of the firm, what kind of law it handles, what work these remote workers will do, the degree to which the firm is able to exercise proper supervision of their work, the overall cost of this arrangement, and what effect it may have on the morale of those that are coming into the office. Every firm will have a different mix of those factors, so for some it might be great and others it may turn out to be nothing but trouble.
In other words, it’s a business decision. :)

LdiJ

A website that answers business questions would be more helpful to you than a website that answers legal questions.

Your law firm will want to consider the licensing requirements for all of your remote workers - if you decide to go the remote-worker route - and not just think about potential cost savings. Any legal work that is assigned to remote workers will need to be assigned to workers licensed to practice law in your area.

Good luck.
Well, except assistants aren't usually licensed to practice law. They are clerical staff. I think that you were thinking "associates" rather than "assistants".

LdiJ

No. I was actually thinking of paralegals.
At the moment CA is the only state where paralegals are regulated at all. There are some states looking at that, but none have implemented it so far. They are just high level/highly trained clerical staff everywhere but CA at this point.

quincy

At the moment CA is the only state where paralegals are regulated at all. There are some states looking at that, but none have implemented it so far. They are just high level/highly trained clerical staff everywhere but CA at this point.
I question what sort of “legal assistants” Johnnylawyer’s firm plans to hire for remote work that won’t require attorney supervision then. Not that it really matters. I am confident that Johnny’s law firm will be able to figure things out without a forum’s help.

LdiJ

I question what sort of “legal assistants” Johnnylawyer’s firm plans to hire for remote work that won’t require attorney supervision then. Not that it really matters. I am confident that Johnny’s law firm will be able to figure things out without a forum’s help.
That is certainly true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">