+ Reply to Thread

Employer representing themselves

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana I filed a claim with the EEOC and got my right to sue letter pre trial hearing was set then rescheduled due to my former employer firing their attorney and are going to represent themselves!! Is this normal?

Why do you care? It isn't going to hurt your case and may help you.

Two things I am tired of typing: 1.) A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. 2.) The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise. If it does, the terms of the contract apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by gthreeamigos View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana I filed a claim with the EEOC and got my right to sue letter pre trial hearing was set then rescheduled due to my former employer firing their attorney and are going to represent themselves!! Is this normal?
    Unusual, yes and maybe not legally possible. What is the corporate structure of the business; Corp, llc, partnership, etc. or is it none?

Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    Unusual, yes and maybe not legally possible. What is the corporate structure of the business; Corp, llc, partnership, etc. or is it none?
    Small business inc. less than 15 employees! Was just nothing I have ever heard of

If they have less than 15 employees they do not fall under the EEOC's jurisdiction, so just exactly what kind of right to sue letter did you get?

Two things I am tired of typing: 1.) A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. 2.) The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise. If it does, the terms of the contract apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    If they have less than 15 employees they do not fall under the EEOC's jurisdiction, so just exactly what kind of right to sue letter did you get?
    It was from the Indiana Cival rights They said ruled harassment and my attorney says we are going to trial! so I dont know how because there are less than 15 employees but we are going to court!

That is not the same as the EEOC.

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    That is not the same as the EEOC.
    Sorry I was wrong

State law on civil rights covers 6 employees on up.but if you don't have the right letter for right forum...you may be procedurally dead meat**************

It was from the Indiana Cival rights They said ruled harassment and my attorney says we are going to trial! so I dont know how because there are less than 15 employees but we are going to court!
    If you have an attorney, any questions you have can be directed to him/her. Your attorney is in a better position to answer questions about your case than anyone on this forum as your attorney has access to all of the facts.

Good luck in court.

Small business inc. less than 15 employees! Was just nothing I have ever heard of
    If the business is just a sole proprietorship then the owner may represent himself/herself if the owner chooses. It might not be a very smart way for the owner to go, but the owner has that right. If the business is organized as a corporation or LLC then generally the business must be represented by an attorney in court.

+ Reply to Thread