• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Preciousness

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Any idea how to initiate getting my daughter emancipated? She is 2 months away from turning 18 & I can not longer afford to be liable for her actions. She lives on her own, with her boyfriend, and is continually getting into legal trouble.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Any idea how to initiate getting my daughter emancipated? She is 2 months away from turning 18 & I can not longer afford to be liable for her actions. She lives on her own, with her boyfriend, and is continually getting into legal trouble.
Don't start multiple posts on the same topic.

Besides, emancipation isn't going to happen in this instance.

Preciousness

Why do you have to be so rude in your reply? I forgot to ask that question in the 1st post, so I followed up with it. If it bothers you so much, move on & don't read it. Thought people were suppose to give advice here. Seems you have a problem with that

Silverplum

Why do you have to be so rude in your reply? I forgot to ask that question in the 1st post, so I followed up with it. If it bothers you so much, move on & don't read it. Thought people were suppose to give advice here. Seems you have a problem with that
Sort of quotable.

Definitely not answerable.

:rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She will be legally emancipated by turning 18 before any legal action to emancipate her could be taken. Not to mention the fact that if she is in legal trouble, no judge would even consider emancipating her early.

seniorjudge

And the reason YOU don't have to follow the rules is: [fill in the blank]

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There's a "Reply" button that allows you to follow up in a previous thread. No need to litter the board with numerous threads.

However, it would take more than two months to wind its way through the court system. Also, as mentioned by another poster, no court is going to emancipate a juvenile in trouble with the law.

However, you mentioned in your previous post that she's been living with Dad for two years. Now it's her b/f. Try to be consistent, eh?

And as a freebie - as her parent, you are responsible for her actions until she comes of age. I doubt she turned into the Devil's Spawn as soon as she got her license. Y'all (you AND Dad) had plenty of time to raise her to be that way. Good job.

Preciousness

There's a "Reply" button that allows you to follow up in a previous thread. No need to litter the board with numerous threads.

However, it would take more than two months to wind its way through the court system. Also, as mentioned by another poster, no court is going to emancipate a juvenile in trouble with the law.

However, you mentioned in your previous post that she's been living with Dad for two years. Now it's her b/f. Try to be consistent, eh?

And as a freebie - as her parent, you are responsible for her actions until she comes of age. I doubt she turned into the Devil's Spawn as soon as she got her license. Y'all (you AND Dad) had plenty of time to raise her to be that way. Good job.
Well, for the high & mighty that think they KNOW IT ALL..... She was an honor roll student, with a job & plans for her future until October last year, when she started dating the "devil's spawn". She quit her job, stopped going to school (unbeknownst to per parents until the school called 3 weeks later) and ran away several times. NO ONE in the system could help us. I reported her to social services, juvenile services, even called for help from the health department (metal health case worker) and NO ONE could do ANYTHING for us, other than put it in their computer. She got her drivers license in August, so yeah....may not have been on that exact day, but it was right around that time.

You "senior" people on here are a joke. Thinking you're so better than everyone else. Why can't you just give advice that is being solicited? Why do you have to degrade everyone? You are NO BETTER than anyone else on this site.... I'm sure you put your pants on, 1 leg at a time, just like the rest of us.

HAVE A LOVELY DAY !!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, for the high & mighty that think they KNOW IT ALL..... She was an honor roll student, with a job & plans for her future until October last year, when she started dating the "devil's spawn". She quit her job, stopped going to school (unbeknownst to per parents until the school called 3 weeks later) and ran away several times. NO ONE in the system could help us. I reported her to social services, juvenile services, even called for help from the health department (metal health case worker) and NO ONE could do ANYTHING for us, other than put it in their computer. She got her drivers license in August, so yeah....may not have been on that exact day, but it was right around that time.

You "senior" people on here are a joke. Thinking you're so better than everyone else. Why can't you just give advice that is being solicited? Why do you have to degrade everyone? You are NO BETTER than anyone else on this site.... I'm sure you put your pants on, 1 leg at a time, just like the rest of us.

Oh, and you didn't have to let her get a license. Ya know?

Oh, and guess what else! You didn't have to allow her to get a license.

HAVE A LOVELY DAY !!!
Oooooh all those phone calls. Wow! Did it occur to you to TAKE her to school? Stay there with her, walking class to class? Don't even give me the "I'm a single Mom and I can't do that 'cause I work" stuff. So am I. And both of my kids ( both teens) know that I would quit my job if I had to to make sure they were meeting their obligations to be in school, and that I would not hesitate to shadow them all day if that's what it took.

Did it occur to you that you could take away her license and keys? If she quit her job - who's paying for insurance and gas for her wheels? Does she have all her "stuff" still in her room? Come on - don't pull this whiney act of the poor, poor parent who has no say in the child's behavior. You're not the only one on God's green earth with a teenager who gets too big for his/her britches. You really aren't that special.

Last edited:

Preciousness

Oooooh all those phone calls. Wow! Did it occur to you to TAKE her to school? Stay there with her, walking class to class? Don't even give me the "I'm a single Mom and I can't do that 'cause I work" stuff. So am I. And both of my kids ( both teens) know that I would quit my job if I had to to make sure they were meeting their obligations to be in school, and that I would not hesitate to shadow them all day if that's what it took.

Did it occur to you that you could take away her license and keys? If she quit her job - who's paying for insurance and gas for her wheels? Does she have all her "stuff" still in her room? Come on - don't pull this whiney act of the poor, poor parent who has no say in the child's behavior. You're not the only one on God's green earth with a teenager who gets too big for his/her britches. You really aren't that special.
Stealth2- Her keys were taken away & the tags removed from her car. She called the police and they went to her fathers' house and told him that he MUST return the keys & tags to her at once. The car is titled to HER and she is the owner. He had NO RIGHT to take the keys, which gives her every right to get in it & drive away.... which she did.
You talk a good talk, but I would bet my bottom dollar that when it comes right down to it..... you'd be sitting at your desk in your office, HOPING your kid was in school. Yeah right, walking them from class to class. Funny thing.... the school won't permit that. Only a 1 day "guest" pass to walk the halls of the school. In high school, they don't even allow a parent in the classroom. NICE TALKING TO YOU :) Movin' on

Happy Trails

The cosigner that allowed her to get her driver's license could have it revoked.

Suspension of Minor’s License on Request of Co-SignerA minor’s license may be suspended when a written request to sus-pend the license is submitted by the minor’s co-signer and is received by the Motor Vehicle Administration. The suspension remains in effect until the minor becomes an adult or another co-signer, who meets the above qualifications, co-signs and certifies for the minor.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Stealth2- Her keys were taken away & the tags removed from her car. She called the police and they went to her fathers' house and told him that he MUST return the keys & tags to her at once. The car is titled to HER and she is the owner. He had NO RIGHT to take the keys, which gives her every right to get in it & drive away.... which she did.
You talk a good talk, but I would bet my bottom dollar that when it comes right down to it..... you'd be sitting at your desk in your office, HOPING your kid was in school. Yeah right, walking them from class to class. Funny thing.... the school won't permit that. Only a 1 day "guest" pass to walk the halls of the school. In high school, they don't even allow a parent in the classroom. NICE TALKING TO YOU :) Movin' on
Who thought it was a brilliant idea to TITLE A CAR in a teenager's name?:rolleyes:

Preciousness

Who thought it was a brilliant idea to TITLE A CAR in a teenager's name?:rolleyes:
She bought it with her own money, and at the time, she was doing great in school & hadn't been in one bit of trouble so there was no reason not to allow it.
I'm done with this one. No more replies will be addressed. What a disappointment this website has been..... a bunch of judging, know it all LOSERS !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">