• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

She bought it with her own money, and at the time, she was doing great in school & hadn't been in one bit of trouble so there was no reason not to allow it.
I'm done with this one. No more replies will be addressed. What a disappointment this website has been..... a bunch of judging, know it all LOSERS !!
Well, if no more replies will be addressed, then this must be the HIP PLACE TO BE!

Rico?
Rico?

:p

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You talk a good talk, but I would bet my bottom dollar that when it comes right down to it..... you'd be sitting at your desk in your office, HOPING your kid was in school. Yeah right, walking them from class to class. Funny thing.... the school won't permit that. Only a 1 day "guest" pass to walk the halls of the school. In high school, they don't even allow a parent in the classroom. NICE TALKING TO YOU :) Movin' on
See, I don't make idle threats. So before my kids knew I'd go there, I made a point of talking to the Principal & Superintendent. And - what a shock! They were very supportive of any parent who would actively make sure their kid got to - and stayed in - school. Even if it meant shadowing. Now, to be honest, I don't see it being an issue 'cause neither of my kids have (yet) considered cutting school. But I do know my actions would be supported. So... funny thing... your school doesn't care. Oh well.

Oh?

The following is an actual email from/to me. The names have been changed to protect the not so innocent:

Re: Student SD15 (1st block)
2 messages
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stmfitr636 <[email protected]> Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 11:03 AM
To: History teacher<>

Mr. History teacher,

We would like to get an update on SD15's grades and any missing assignments to date. We saw that your website is updated and current and want to let you know that we find it invaluable... thank you. We hope that all her teachers get their websites up and running soon. We also hope that they are as diligent to keep them updated as you.

We're aware that SD15 has had the fortunate opportunity to retake some quizzes or tests in your class. Would you please let us know the results of these retakes?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation. If there are any concerns that you feel that need attention, please feel free to call or email at any time. We are looking forward to seeing you in November.

Sincerely,

Stmfitr636
867-5309

LOML
362-4360

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
History teacher<> Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 11:32 AM
To:Stmfitr636 <stmfitr636@Y&T.com>

Mrs. LOYL and Mr. Stmfitr636,

SD15 has all assignments in and completed and all retakes done as well. Her 1st marking period grade will be a C (74.8%). This is a significant change from her grade earlier in the year.
Regarding the results of the retakes. The biggest imrpovement was on the retake of her 1st test. Her original score was a 25. The retake score was 52. She went from an F to a C-. The other retakes were on quizzes and although her scores improved, the test score had the biggest impact on her grade.
Your thanks is appreciated, but I think it is me that should be thanking you. If all parents were as diligent as you in making themselves aware of their children's progress (or lack of progress in some cases) and following through to see to it that work gets completed, my job would be so much easier than it is. SD15 and I have had several discussions and the experience of having her mother come to school to shadow her made a huge impression, and was truly a stroke of genius on your part. She now knows she better get her work done-or else.
I anticipate her grade will at least remain in the C range, but am hopeful it will rise even higher than that. I will continue to work from this end and am sure you will from yours. Your daughter's success is a goal we both share. Keep in touch and if ever you have any questions-don't hesitate to call or e-mail.
Thanks again for being great parents! SD15 may not tell you, but she appreciates it too.

History Teacher

[/gloat]

This "shadowing" was in direct response to conflicting information about missing assignments and a claim that a teacher was mistaking for another girl with same name. Without getting a convincing answer (some not at all) about the missing assignments, LOML decided she had better just go and ask for herself... directly from the teacher... all of them... on both days (A & B days)... for the entire days. Quite the opposite of OP, her grades went straight OUT of the toilet to honor roll in Junior year, straight A's so far this year and acceptance (albeit in a "Challenge Program") to the University of her choice: U of Michigan.

So there.

Last edited:

Nativity

I'm not sure what's worse the fact you posted an email in response to a thread that has nothing to do with said email ... or the fact you kept an email around from 2006 and are still complaining about it?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not sure what's worse the fact you posted an email in response to a thread that has nothing to do with said email ... or the fact you kept an email around from 2006 and are still complaining about it?
Uuuuhhh.... stmfitr's post (with the email) was a direct response to OP's dismissal of "shadowing" as an effective tool and avowal that a school would not permit such an action on the part of a parent. As both stmfitr and I have indicated, there are schools that will actually support parents in bringing a smackdown of this type to their kid(s).

And, btw - stmfitr wasn't complaining about it. Checked the reading comprehension at the door again, eh?

Additionally, I am not at all surprised that stmfitr has an email from 2006. I have older ones than that. If my ex were to ever decide to take issue with a single grade one of our kids has pulled, I will be easily able to prove that I was on top of the situation, just as stmfitr will be able to.

What's scary is how you completely misread stmfitr's post, yet continue to provide input to those asking for help. THAT is frightening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">